• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Taekwondodo

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started off, I was thinking about another plant tank, but the corals my LFS has are amazing and I've always wanted a Reef tank (great, another expensive hobby I need to find time for :wink: ...)

So I'm looking to build a hood for the All-glass 5.5 and I've looked at both AH Supply (I've used them for my planted tanks) and Hellolights.com.

What I've found is that if I go with AHSupply, I'll have to use the 13W 50/50 lights because the 36 watt lights are almost two inches longer than the tank (thinking about four of them).

If I go with Hellolights, they have the 28 watt 50/50 lights, but the ballast is kinda steep (compared to AHSupply) and I'll still need to find a suitable reflector. One other option with Hellolights is the MH, but I'd have to go with either the 70 or 150W double ended (looks like a pain, and a lot of heat) or the 175W mogul (still, $$$ and a lot of heat). Also, I think MH may be over doing it for a 5G.

One other option I found at Petco was the 50/50 10W Coralife PCs with the built-in ballast (for direct screw in to 110V) - I was thinking I could fit 3-4 of these under the hood, but I still need a reflector.

As for what exactly I will be growing - I do not know yet... but I do not want to limit myself as I learn more about the "darkside" (Reef, vs. FW Plant tanks).

Thanks in advance,

- Jeff

lobo42a

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did with my 5.5 gal was as follows: I got 2 mini aqualights by Coralife,each one 18watts,one 9 watt ,true actinic 03 and one 10000k daylight.bulbs. I removed the bulbs and reflectors from the housing and fit them under the hood and moved the ballast to a location in back of the tank to keep the heat from entering the tank. so far it has worked out ok. But I don't have any life in the tank that requries a high amount of lighting,so 36watts of total power is enough for my tank. I bought the lights from Doctors Foster&Smith for $29.99 each.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 96W PC on my old 6 gallon ;)

Two 24W PCs would work too.

50cal

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff,

Check out my post here:
http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65787

We are basically in the same boat. I spent a few hours online last night between HelloLights and AH Supply trying to piece together exactly what I want. One thing I have considered is similar to what Lobo suggested. Coralife makes a 12" Aqualight (fairly new I think- it is on their website) that may give me what I need in components that will fit INSIDE the hood. I am only trying to figure out some specifics and make sure it can be disassembled and reconfigured without danger of fire or electrocution.

http://www.esuweb.com/cardfile.asp?ItemNumber=53124&IDProductRelationship=36

Not sure what your tank dimensions are; perhaps you can use it as is…

The other concern is being able to find additional bulbs for options. So far most are 9w, 13w or 28w, not the 18w that is being used. And I still am not sure about ballast requirements to be able to mix and match wattages.

I will keep an eye on your post and help with anything I figure out.

Good luck,

Craig

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: