• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has 2 neon gobbies that are in a coral tank (by mistake). They are tiny perhaps 3/4"-1" long.

1 - how big do they get?
2 - are they (one or both) appropriate for a 0.5 pico?
3 - since they are supposedly teritorial (see Live Aquaria - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... pCatId=194) the fact that they don't fight in the 10-20gal tank at LFS mean that they'll get along in my .5 pico?

Thanks,
M.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry Mihai!

but i thing that no fish can fit in such a small tank .
i have one in my 12G that gets along with some other fishes .... but a Thor amboinensis is the only animal i would add in a 0.5G

here is mine, much more active than what i expected!

evelynae-2.jpg

my 2cts,

antoine

dp

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way. Neon gobies get BIG. I can't believe I just wrote that. But they would very quickly outgrow a 0.5 gallon. Imagine your pinkie finger with fins. Perfect for a 10, way too big for a 0.5.

I don't know if there are any fish that would work in a 0.5. It's just so small. Best bet is an Eviota or Trimma species, but even then you're pushing bioload way too much.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a way cooler looking fish anyhow. Eviota pellucida. Liveaquaria will send you this ocassionally if you order one of their "Eviota sp." gobies.

NEON_PYGMYGOBY020311.JPG

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Thor amboinensis is a great recommendation for that size tank. Only others I can think of that stay very small are an anemone shrimp or a bumblebee shrimp.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":33o2ggda said:
A Thor amboinensis is a great recommendation for that size tank. Only others I can think of that stay very small are an anemone shrimp or a bumblebee shrimp.

A Thor amboinensis? Only one? I was thinking about 2-3 (so they can be "sexy" with each other)? I would not put only one in there - I'd rather keep it "coral only".

Thanks for the feedback guys - I don't want to buy a little guy now and regret it later.

Thanks,
Mihai

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the maintenance regimen required for long term success would be very rigorous and maybe even outweigh the appeal of the smaller system eventually... shrimps and small crabs are great candidates for that setup.

That is a really really neat fish Matt, an ideal 2.5g candidate w/proper care I'd say. I've just seen one of those bumblebee shrimp for the first time at LFS. They had them mis-marked as sexy shrimp and I thought they were...then I saw an internet pic. the bumblebee shrimp are thicker and squat, neat coloration pattern. I hesitated to buy one until I researched further, whether or not they had obligatory feeding needs or were just opportunists on meat and vegetables like so many other shrimp. What do you think about them?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would go for 3 thor amboinensis (sexy shrimps).
they are so much fun to look at :wink:

thor-amboinensis-1.jpg

this one is right in front of a red ricordea ...

Toine

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gnathophyllum shrimp eat the tube feet of starfish, just like harlequins. They're in the same family IIRC. But bumblebee shrimp will also eat meaty foods like flakes and what not. Since they also stay incredibly small (like less than half an inch) they are an ideal pico tank inhabitant. Happy shrimpkeeping! :D ;)

Gnathophyllum americans--this is the common bumbleee shrimp.
MACgnatophyllum-amerjoly.jpg

G. elegans--cool looking! I've never heard of one of these for sale.
gnatoph1.jpg

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree: three sexy shrimps or bumblebees will be a nice sight in that tank. I'll go for it!
M.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mihai, think of trying a mixed group of both?

Another option (that gets along with bumblebees) is a Urocaridella sp. Super hardy, easy to feed, and always visible IME. I really wish these were more commonly available.

c_c_shri.jpg

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they get along it would be even better. Urocaridella looks great but I never saw it offered anywhere. I'll keep my eyes open.

One quick question about all these guys: do I need to feed daily (I am planning to leave the pico unattended in my office over the weekends)?
Can't they scrap stuff that grows on the rocks (or pods)? I assume they would eat Formula II (or I) flakes...

Thanks,
M.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure they'd be fine over the weekend. Just feed them well during the week.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":3dvgnkjs said:
I'm sure they'd be fine over the weekend. Just feed them well during the week.

What do you mean "feed them well"? I don't plan to put more than one flake per day (even every other day) in there. Otherwise in a 0.5 I'll have a cyano nighmare.

Thanks,
M.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just meant make sure they are fed daily during the week. They'll scrounge up something on the weekends :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: