• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

a 2 gallon tank?

is that a nano?

what is the definition anyway?

how big can a tank be and still be a nano?

when does it become a pico or a regular reef?

I have been wondering....

A

Anonymous

:lol:

I don't know what the technical cut off is, but my guess is that <1 gallon makes it a pico. :?:

A

Anonymous

Hmm, well I looked in my old trusty "Webster's Dictionary of Reefkeeping Terms" and it says...

Your guess is as good as mine Bry. I just decided one day that a "nano" for me would mean anything under 20 gallons. Just an arbitrary number. It's a cut off point, the same way 55 and 100 gallon are a sort of cut off point to me. And I called my 6 gallon a nano, not a pico. I'd call anything below 5 gallons a Pico I guess. And anything below 1 gallon a "Femto" reef.

But if you like you can call it Knucklehead's Super Duper Fantastico Reef Googlplex Extraordinaire. :lol:

D

daFrimpster

30 gal and less is nano
1 gal and less is pico
just my 2 cents

A

Anonymous

typically anything under 20 is a nano and for arguement sake, less than a gallon is usually refered to as a pico...femto and atto, yocto and so forth just get redundant...It really doesnt matter, but id say 2 or 3 gal a nano

A

Anonymous

So we have 30 gallons as a top number and 1 as a bottom for nano's

hmm

I think we need to lower those numbers a bit

I think it should be something like this

<1 Pico
1-5 Nano
5-30 small
30-75 medium
75- 180 large
180- rich

A

Anonymous

Of course we have to wait until the nano build off ends :lol:

A

Anonymous

Hey Knucklehead...If you really think about it....All tanks compared to the ocean reefs, they're all Nano in size...A 500gal reef is still fairly small compared to a natural ocean reef..
:wink:

I dont think there will be any classification for tanks under 30gal other than the word small..when you get into nano,pico,femto,atto,yocto and so forth, these are just other words for small...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: