• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ickypimp

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok... i have had several plans to get going with a nano reef they have , however not happened, the main issue i have has has been lighting and lack of money...

I had a real score the other day, i got myself a unused second hand Via aqua pop up 11 gallon nanoreef tank it comes complete with a really sexy looking luminaire that has 1x 18 watt PC 7100k and 1x18watt pc actinic

LV-468-Chrome.gif

I REALLY love the look of this tank i would prefer to keep it looking as nice as that (no major mods)

I have some really powerful LED's that i may be able to fit into the luminere to suppliment the lighting (see what the space is like..

the tank comes as standard with an under gravel filter system that i wont be using but the powerhead may be useful...

I guess my question is... with the 36watts i have what corals am i gonna have success with...

now i know you guys prefer us noobs to read it for ourselves, i am suffering from conflicting information but so far i think that i should be able to get away with

sun coral
gorgonians (love the red ones)
pulsing xenia
lemnnalia
tonga green finger
discosoma
ricordea
zoos
frog spawn
hammer coral poen brain

any additions or retractions from that list ??

just as a matter of interest i plan to also use

1x hydor ekip 250 thermopump (50 watt, gutted out with carbon and poly filter- no need for a skimmer then :D ) this moves 66 gallons per hour

A Hagen aquaclear 10 powerhead, this moves up to 80 gallons per hour

that givers me a circulation of ~13 times the tanks volume per hour

10 lb of live rock

1-2 inch sand bed (caribsea agaramix seeded with a couple of cups of sand from a buddies established reef

oh and some salt water ;)

WesleT

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoanthids and mushrooms as far as i know... im still researching what i can get in my 10 gal.. it has 30 watts of lighting

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That list looks fine to me...I forgot what lemnalia was but I'm thinking it was a soft coral? What calcium and alkalinity dosers do you plan on using in that tank? I have seen that specific model setup up and running as a reef here at one of our local LFS, it looked fantastic with that lighting you've mentioned and the cool curves of the tank. I don't really see a need for any more light with what you are planning to stock, you can easily move your corals up and down on the live rock wall to get intensity preferences for them. The tank that ran so well and looked great for several months until it was sold had two small clownfish siblings in it, they hosted in a large frogspawn head placed in the center portion of the reef. Can't wait to see it running, thanks for the update@!
Brandon429

ickypimp

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brandon

i am gonna have a go with the stock lighting to start, if not i mat be able to mod the luminere to take an extra bulb or even a 70watt metal halide bulb... time will tell

only problem is i wont beable to have my purple dartfis with this tank... mabe get an orchid dottyback instead

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: