• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MonKei

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided that I was tired of my Minibow 5. and decided to make something a little bigger. It had to be a veryparticular size, as I move it back and forth from home (portland, OR) to school here in stockton. I decided to custom make it with 3/16" thick acrylic. Dimentions are going to be roughly 15"wide by 12" front-back, and 14" tall. the water volume is roughly 10 gallons. I ordered the pieces from TAP Plastics, and should be done Monday, I will put them together though, I just am not accurate enough with cutting and bending to do it myself.. as you can see from the diagrams that I attached, I've got a piece for the bottom, a piece for the back (both will need to be routed down once assembled) and a piece that will be bent for the front/sides.. I'll also get a piece for the top for support as well. I hope it all comes out well!!! I'll post pics of the pieces when I get them!

Attachments

• tank-diagram.jpg
    tank-diagram.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,283
  • tank-diagrampieces.jpg
    tank-diagrampieces.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,279

MonKei

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I decided to call TAP Plastics and let them know that I wanted quarter inch thick acrylic. Cause I thought that the 3/16ths was going to be a little thin, especially if I am going to be moving the tank a little.. I'll be getting the pieces this evening.. I'll take photos when I get them!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on! a photo journal will will cool...keep us posted

MonKei

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright, I assembled the tank yesterday evening after getting all the pieces, its really seeming to come together nicely.. if you want to see my whole gallery of all the photos I took during assembly, http://nooolife.com/gallery/album01... here are a few attachment highlights though. I let it sit all day today, and tested it (later post) for water tightness. I placed the new tank next to the old tank for size comparison.. good stuff I tell you. oh, and thats supposed to be an actinic bulb thats in my current tank.. the white balance being off makes it look purple though. oh well. here goes..

Attachments

• P2140080 (Small).JPG
    P2140080 (Small).JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,224
  • P2140073 (Small).JPG
    P2140073 (Small).JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,229
  • P2140056 (Small).JPG
    P2140056 (Small).JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,226

MonKei

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more pics from assembly night

Attachments

• P2140097 (Small).JPG
    P2140097 (Small).JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,223
  • P2140093 (Small).JPG
    P2140093 (Small).JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,223

MonKei

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, well, good news!!! I tried to test to see if it was watertight.. and wahoo! no drips that I've seen!!!! I got the sides routed, so its nice and clean now. so all I'm waitin for now is some more saltwater to finish mixin, and getting a new heater. (the 25 watter isnt going to cut it for 11 gallons of water Smile) I'm also going to need to make/get a new hood for lights.. oh joy, oh what fun it is to build stuff. I'm debating going to home depot this evening to get the materials needed, I think that what I'll do is keep my roughly 50w of lighting and build a "swing" style hood, that'll look like its floating over the tank. sounds fun to me. anywhoo.. here are some pics of the tank doing its water thing.
oh, you can view all the pics here http://nooolife.com/gallery/album01

Attachments

• P2150110 (Small).JPG
    P2150110 (Small).JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,221
  • P2150108 (Small).JPG
    P2150108 (Small).JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,226
  • P2150100 (Small).JPG
    P2150100 (Small).JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,225

MonKei

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the new tank's holding great. its been on my dresser next to my minibow filled with water for ~4 hours, still dry on the outside. so I'll assume its going well :)
oh, I thought that I would go to home depot and get some black krylon to spray the back with. should help it look better.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, krylon on the back? You may want to ask TAP what they recommend for painting acrylic.

Nice looking tank! So does it have bent corners on the front? Did TAP do that for you? Can't wait to see what you do with this one.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: