• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Can you please post some info on the new bristles that you got in for your nano? Some pictures would be cool as well, if you have them!

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

If they start doing their job I'll post pics of their progress. I also need to find out what else they eat and the Nano is a perfect place because I'll be having a fairly diverse list of corals in a small area.

They are quasi-proprietary for now but I promise to be able to provide full disclosure before the end of the contest.

As you can see, my nano is in a terrible situation with Aiptasia. This is an excellent test of the worms abilities.

A

Anonymous

Im dealing with a nasty problem with bristles in my pico tank...My Ricordias have been eaten up...Ive yanked out a couple of the larger ones, around 2-4"...My last ric seems to be in good condition...

A

Anonymous

Dumb Q? How do you know if bristles are eating the corals? I have a ton in my 2.5 and only see them on the rock and sand. I'm not having any problems that I know of. Just curious.

A

Anonymous

I think the only way is to catch them in the act. Typically, polychaetes are convicted of the crime but all they were really doing is cleaning up dead flesh.

A

Anonymous

well a process of elimination..i have a hermit, an emerald crab, and a camel shrimp...the only critters ive noticed near the corals were the bristleworms...Its not 100% confirmed they're the culprits..only other likely suspect would be the emerald crab...the emerald crab usually just moves past the corals when he is scavagening...that and the corals didnt look to have tears, but instead looked like they were eaten on...anyways i removed the bristle worms and added them to my fuge at home...so they werent punished via death

A

Anonymous

If the damage stops then you're probably right.

I would have put my money on the Camel Shrimp though.

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure its a camel shrimp? and not a peppermint shrimp, they are strikingly similar. And peppermints are known to eat mushrooms, especially ricordia, I've actually had it happen. I don't know if camels do the same or not.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
positive its a camel, its a hingebeak...Ive kept them before and I have a pep shrimp in my main tank..

Agfahy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a chance to look at your updates Guy. Your coraline is insane!!
You got a shot in there that makes the tank look enormous.
Got any frags you wanna get rid of?
Your coral looks extremely healthy.
Keep up the good work.
I hope I can get some coral and fish in my tank next week.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cknowlto":2kzhllew said:
Can you please post some info on the new bristles that you got in for your nano?

The population is finally starting to increase. This is what they look like when they're killing Aiptasia.

Attachments

• Aiptasia Test2 050415.jpg
    Aiptasia Test2 050415.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 2,228

4wheelin69

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats cool looking. I have never seen that before. I just stay up at night and get the ole tweezers out and start plucking one my one. It took me about 2wks in my 12 gal cube but the method works great. Let them finish off the aptasia first and then fo for it.

Agfahy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for posting to your build off page, I haven't had enough coffe yet to know what the hell is going on.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agfahy, you gotta stop drinking :lol:

Guy, those bristles are different than mine. I have the red/black ones and your's look to be white? Or maybe it because we're seeing their bottoms. Anywho, are we seeing a different species than the run of the mill bristles?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if Emerald Crabs eat Bryopsis? A small bit managed to find its way into the nano and it definately has a foothold now.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sugar Magnolia":1203zqqq said:
Not that I'm aware of Guy. Can you manually remove it? Maybe chisel (fo-shizzle) off the entire area that has bryopsis on it?

Yeah, That's more appropriate anyway. I didn't want to put anything in there that I didn't personally propogate.

Thank you for the feedback!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: