• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

dga

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my 12 gal jbj nano cube i know i need to use some buffering agent to the top off water. the product my local "well equipped" store said to use is "seachem" 'reef builder" for a buffer. the problem i have is quanity to use. directions say "a half level teespoon per 40 gallons twice a week. well for sure i wont need anywhere that amout for topping off the tank between water changes. what would be the best way to add this and how much to use with my r.o. water system i use :?: Live rock will be added shortly as im processing the water via the r.o. now and settling in for cycling.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dga,
Right now you don't need a buffer. Let your tank do it's thing for a few months. Then IF you need to buffer you can do so.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome DGA, really glad to have you aboard. After you are ready to begin alkalinity support, you might also consider these options:

1. How will you know when you have enough added to the system? Purchase an alkalinity test kit. I use a Seachem tester, fairly accurate IMO. If I recall correctly a typical reef target range is 3-10 mEq/L (right Matt?) To validate this claim DGA, just hop over the the reef chem forum located on the lower part of the forums page and run a search for an alkalinity article from Randy Homes-Farley, and the target range will show up quickly.

2. What is the consumption rate of your system, the acid-binding characters that set how often you must replenish the alkalinity? in other words, it's a little too general to tell someone to add carbonate every three days or every week unless one is very familiar with a particular system design... typically, when you reach your target goal of _____ milli-equivalents per liter each system tends to have varying lengths of time until they reach your lowest acceptable threshold-all affected by water volume, stocking density and waste production of the animals, water quality/maintenance schedules and several other items that affect the chemical stability of the system. On that note, it is good to seek out a target range, slowly raise the system up to that point, measure daily (without adding additional buffer) until the system reaches your lowest acceptable mEq/L and then notate that length of time. Replenish slowly again at the end of those intervals from any one of the common sources-- In nanos I like to recommend C-Balance or ESV ionic supports, they are cheap and effective in nano systems.

Hope that helps, B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: