• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

dga

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after 30 years of freshwater tanks, i decided to dive into a reef system. i purchased a "jbj" 12g nano cube dx for my starter. will be typical 10 pds live rock for this size tank small corals and such and a couple of clown's. i have added a extra powerhead to the rear sump area (keeping about half of the powerhead out of the water to help reduce temp). this hagen 301 powerhead (142 gph with air) has a air line teed off the output to intoduce air bubbles into the stream. it will have an adjustable diverter at the end. will this air infusion to the output be ok for this system :?:

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dga,

rdo_welcome.gif

And welcome to our hobby! :P You'll love it, I'm sure. Compared to FW, it's a lot more involving and exciting.

Now to your question: I wouldn't use the air infusion because the bubbles will eventually burst and build up salt creep all over the top and sides of the tank. The best way to aerate is to simply make sure there is a lot of air to water gas exchange. This means lots of circulation, particularly circ. that agitates the surface of the water. A protein skimmer is also a very very nice way to increased dissolved oxygen (while doing lots of other good things for your tank).

I'll copy this to the Nano forum where like-minded hobbyists may have more input :P

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: