• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

DOGMAI

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to keep an Octopus in a nano with zo's. Is this a good combination. Will it work. I think the tank I got is about three gallons. I am custom building a skimmer and built in fuge. I know I will have to be creative with my design becasue an Octopus can get out of anything. Just want some feedback. The Octo is about the size of a 50 cent piece.

Thanks,
Shane

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Consider that an octo puts out 3 times as much weight as a fish of the same mass. 3 gallons is way too small. Do you know what species you're getting? Where it's from?

DOGMAI

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just know that it will be from the Carribean. I dont know the type. Forgive me for sounding like a newb but i dont know much about Nanos or what I can put in them. What do you mean by weight? From him sitting on the zo's?

Thanks,
Shane

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
body mass.

Also considering how much it eat on daily basis, even though he may be a tiny guy to your eyes, but water fouls quickly. Without much experience with nano tanks and equipments, you will run into problems soon.

I'd suggest you get a nano tank setup, let it mature. For small octopus, I'd suggest at least a 10G tank, With good filtration. All exit and openings must be able to lock up tightly.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duh, typo....I meant to say that an octo will put out 3 times as much WASTE as a fish of similar mass.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And some of the Caribbean octos get to be enormous, like 3' across. Unless you are getting someone who knows how to ID species correctly (whigh I very highly doubt) you might be getting a juvenile O. briareus or vulgaris. You would need a 100 g or larger when it very quickly reaches adult size. Best bet is the link I provided in the GRD. Bimacs stay small and are by far the hardiest of the bunch,and available CB. 30 gallon tank is adequate.

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantis is easier to handle, since it does not have the tendencies to crawl out of water or squeeze through small cracks. Just make sure the filtration is adequate, keep the water clean.

I would also use acrylic tank as much as possible. Depending on which type of mantis you get, you don't want it to knock a crack on the glass walls.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
atleast acrylic on the bottom of the tank under the sand..but that depends on which species you get.a spearer (highly doubt you would be able to find one) would dig so you would have to provide an adequeate substrate for it..a smasher which is likely to be aquired with ease is likely to do the same thing however if it hits the glass, it might mistaken it as rock and smash through it...again it depends on the species of mantis you get....mine is relatively small and I house it in a 5.5gal aquarium. It is at max size of about 2.5inches. It has trouble trying to break open large turbo snail shells let alone glass which is thicker..just some of my input :wink:

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched an octopus escape from a jar with a screwed on lid. The octopus didn't unscrew the lid to get out!!!! No kidding!!! The only time I (personally) seen an octopus stay in a tank was when it had eggs.

triggerhappy23

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you can keep one of these guys in your 3 gallon. They get no bigger than 1 inch. Not an octo but looks like a cross between a squid and an octo. Almost looks like a cuttle fish. Bad news as with almost all cephs, they have a short life span, about 8 months.

Hawaiian Bobtail Squids, Euprymna scolopes

http://www.cephbase.utmb.edu/imgdb/imgs ... owestTaxa=

These guys come from warmer water and shallow depts.

Attachments

• bobtailsquid.jpg
    bobtailsquid.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 2,850
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck finding one for sale! Neat little critters though. Apparently pretty easy to keep. An aquarium in WA has some.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
atlantisaquarium has a hawaiian cuttlefish on their site right now for $120.

very cool...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
triggerhappy23":3cfa80vb said:
I actually had them before. How much are they at that aquarium?

It's a public aquarium, and they claim they're the only one in the world to ever display sepioloids. These are NOT cuttlefish. What species did you have?[/i]

triggerhappy23

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same one in the pic, Hawaiian Bobtail Squids, Euprymna scolopes. I knew they werent cuttle fish. I just said it sorta resembles them. They are pretty easy to keep but sensitive to ph fluctuations and copper is a killer. THey eat ghost shrimps regularly.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: