• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Duster

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12g Eclipse System w/ LR. I am planning an invert cleanup crew of 1 Scarlet Reef crab, 1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner shrimp, 8 snails, and perhaps a small 2"-3" star (fed if necessary). As far as fish, I would ideally like a pair of Perc Clowns and a Royal Gramma. However, I've read alot recommending only a pair of Clowns. As a newbie, my inexperience and enthusiasm are making it hard to delete the Gramma. If maintaining water quality/parameters with this bio-load is more difficult, can you advise me on what I need to do to keep water standards up? Diligent maintenance is not a problem. If aggression and/or territoriality are the problem, will this be reduced or eliminated by the fact that all three fish will be introduced at the same time and as juveniles?
I would also appreciate any info on Royal Grammas. I understand they can be very shy, but will swim in the open most of the time once they become comfortable (in a few months). I'm not interested in a fish that hides most of the time.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there and welcome! I apologize for my delay in response.

I'll let someone else chime in on the territorality of the fishes and associated behavior (not my expertise) but I would like to advise leaving out the sandbed and performing bi-weekly or weekly changes to keep nitrates down. Your fish bioload does not seem like it will be a problem, but I advise leaving out the sandbed as the easiest method of controlling nitrates in a nano-with-fish. I know it can be done with a few inches of sand, but I find thorough cleaning so much easier (and thorough!) with bare-bottom or a light layer of CC which is what I currently use.

Brandon M.

Duster

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tazdevil,
I did get your response in the New Reefkeepers forum and thank you. I actually posted the topic in this forum (Nanos) first, but got no response so I posted it in the New Reefkeepers. I also thank Brandon for his response; it is something to think about.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing to keep in mind is that aggressive territoriality is aggravated in small spaces. There's nowhere for a defeated fish/invert to retreat to, thus, they will constantly be harassed by an aggressor.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: