• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

endomorphious

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My first nano reef tank is now up running for a week. It's in an Azoo 3 liter bowfront tank. Will show some pics when I can find a digital cam i can borrow.

My question is for an electrician or smart handyman. Would it be possible to adapt those xenon halide car headlamp lights for a pico/nano reef? If so, how?

Oh a second question. I have an old Coralife 175watt reefsun... i bought it because i love the built in ramp up timer. I would like to use this on a 10 gallon I have in the planning stage. The question is can i loose the pendant and socket and replace with another 175watt socket and bulb combo. Further, would it be possible to run 2 70 watt 20k double ended bulbs off of the Reefsun ballast?

Thanks,

love this forum

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I'm not much of an electrician, but I think the first thing you'd want to check about the car bulb would be if it produces a spectrum and K rating of light that is favorable to reef critters n' corals.

After that, you could go to an auto parts store and read the packaging on a xenon bulb and find the electrical specs for it. From there it's a simple task of creating a power source device which can be plugged in to the wall and modify an house hold 120vAC current to fit the bulb :)

You'd also need projectors / cowls because those bulbs actually shine out to the sides and the projector reflector in the headline redirects and focuses the light beam.

Good luck and post some pix!

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal HID is around 6-7k. Reef lighting produces much better kelvin ratings than that. Too expensive, IMO. (you can get a retro 70watt for about 140 bucks, give or take. I wouldn't mess around with converters and the like when you can get a retro for cheaper. Less risk of fire than a DIY dealeo. I thnk that you would get too much of a spot light effect if you used a car's HID lighting.

As for your second question, the reefsun ballast in all likelyhood would not power 2 70w de bulbs. I wouldn't even try it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: