• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I am going to start a nano soon in a standard 10g tank. The inhabitants will mostly be softy frags from my 90g.

In such case my light demand is low, and I am cheeping out on equptment.

Anywho, has any one tried these:

http://www.petmeister.com/item2038.htm

Seems like a cheap way to get 40W over 10g...

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(edit) I had misread your post earlier and didn't see those screw-ins were rated 20w. You are using two in the hood as an incandescent replacement...that's not bad for a soft coral nano. I had seen them before in LFS but it was only one over a 5 gallon macro-for-sale tank, not bright enough IMO. two over a ten w/ a polished reflector, I bet it will be fine.

If you would ever consider getting another MH, I just got in the single best deal I have ever seen for a Metal Halide setup at aquatic eco .com
$150 total (I paid 200 because I wanted next day air) with 10K bulb included, hanging pendant style HQI which is a knockoff of the Coralife Pro series running about $260. a very affordable MH:

www.aquaticeco.com

If you don't see it on the site, call them up and ask if they have anymore $150 HQI pendants for the old price. They told me there was a limited supply at this cost (about to go up to $190 which is still good) and I got mine 2 weeks ago. First MH I've had from them, love it

MonKei

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these lights are fairly decent for the price, I've run one in my aquarium before breaking it in a move. right now I have 2 of the 10w version of this bulb and a 13w kit from hello lights over my 5 gal minibow. I've got a soft frag and a few soft corals/leathers/mushrooms doing very well in this lighting.. if you wanted to spend a few extra bucks, but not as much as a MH kit, you could go with a couple of CF lights and a ballast for ~100 bucks, should work great. good luck!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

MH are out (I don't even have tyem on my 90g), but will someday...

This nano is a project I am trying to build on parts I have arround the house already. And "fairly decent" makes me pretty happy. The 20W bulbs are ~$20 each, and I have a nice incandecent hood w/ and OK reflector in it. I am hopeing to only have to put in ~$100 total including LR.
Thanks for the input!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the lights. Think they look great.
I will post picts when I get some livestock in there.

Tank on the cheep comming along nicely. So far only ~$30 bucks out of pocket including sand, LR and lights!

It is cycling as I type this...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: