• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My .5 gallon pico project is beginning to take shape. I plan to use LR and LS from my existing system, but was wondering if additional filtration is necessary. I'm trying to decide whether to install one of those Red Sea Deco Art filters, or just add a Micro Jet for current.

TIA

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd go with the hob. i've found with the picos' small surface area that they tend to get 'crudded' up faster. a dust film or scum skin forms on the surface over time without surface agitation/skimming.

having the water mover outside the tank also keeps the aesthetic view somewhat. the microjet (or any other ph) would likely take up a lot of viewing room relative to the tank's size.

a surface skimmer like an overflow is better but without a decent amount of diy/design skill (e.g. any of brandon's tanks) the rest of us have to settle for what's conventionally available off-the-shelf.

but your intended bioload and maintenance schedule will be the final determinant of how much filtration you need. hth

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with a HOB also, and you can build a tiny little internal overflow box out of black acrylic if you like to go around the siphon tube.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, guys. Just picked up the Red Sea Nano Filter.

Do you guys think .5 gallons is too small for a Clown Goby (Gobiodon okinawae)?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's just about the only commonly available fish I would try, other than maybe an Eviota sp. goby (only 1"):

p_89415.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: