• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Right now my tank seems prety harmonious. I have a yellow clown gobi and a blue yellow-tail damselfish. As the algea cycle marches on, I noticed that I am getting a bit of hair algea. I think the crabs are prety much keeping it in check as it seems to apear and disapear and generaly has a crab in it when visible.

I am thinking, that I might replace the damselfish with a Salarias fasciatus (Lawnmower Blenny). I think this fish can get up to 5" . Will the character of this fish make it so that I cannot keep it in my 10g softy tank? good Idea or bad Idea?

Thanks,
Alfred

A

Anonymous

the blenny will be fine...good luck getting out the damsel though....but thats a smart idea getting rid one fish..keeping the bioload light....

A

Anonymous

I got his number. He likes a specific hole in one of the rocks, All I have to do is chase him into it, then move it into a 5 gal bucket and put in some food and out he will pop. remove the rock and vioala! one easily removed damselfish.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Lawnmower blenny's often starve in even large tanks. I would recommend against putting one in a nano for sure. You could get lucky, but I'd be leary of trying it.

Jim

A

Anonymous

hrm...

what would you recomend. I had planned on moving away from hermit crabs since they are the greatest creators of chaos within my aqua-eutopia. The hair algea is growing in a verrysmall low flow area on some live rock. Just really looking for something interesting to eat it.

A

Anonymous

This is the first ive heard of lawnmower blennies starving in a nano..as far as i know they'll eat other foods..Unlike the Scooter Dragonet often refered as the Scooter blenny..which primarily feeds on copepods and amphipods..(like a mandarin fish would)

A

Anonymous

Lawnmover blennies are actually a bit notorius for starving to death, although not in the same league as mandarins or scooters. The reason is that they clear the tank of algae, then don't always accept prepared foods. I had one do this in a 90 gallon corner tank.
Definitely not a nano fish IMO regardless, although sometimes they eat and do fine in larger tanks. You can try it, but I'd be VERY suprised if it works out long term.

Jim

A

Anonymous

WOW..first ive heard of that..i thought you had the two confused...but ive never owned a lawnmower, ive heard theyre really good fish, with or without algae...

A

Anonymous

Well... I still have'nt replaced the fish. I have, however, just found about 1/2 dozen tiny nassarius snails creaping over the glass this morning.

The Algae cycle moves on, and has not spread too badly, but I wanna knock out the ugly stuff soon. I may just have to fall back to turbos and crabs.

I supose I could always return the crabs before they become a nusance.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: