• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

nano-dodd

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently was told by a LFS who ran a super nano-reef that he uses Caulerpa as a sort of "filter" to absorb nutrients and pulling the excess caulerpa removed the nutrients from his tank. Well, I took his advice and got a few frags of three different kinds. Needless to say, it is growing well, and I am keeping it very trimmed. However, I have seen numerous threads and such of people telling horror stories of Caulerpa taking over their reef! Have I made a huge mistake? Though I keep it cut back, the "roots" seem to reach into every crack and crevice in the rocks. I know that the Caulerpa requires nutirents to grow, but does the risk outweigh the benefit? Please tell me if I need to jerk this stuff out as soon as possible! It has only been a week or so in my tank!!!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GET IT OUT. KILL IT WITH FIRE. KILL IT!!

1. Here's how caulerpa works: (filter may have been a poor choice of words)
It competes with algae for certain nutrients. Trimming the caulerpa removes said excess nutrients because you then throw away chunks of caulerpa that have said nutrients bound inside the cellular structure.

2. KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT NOW.

3. Macroalgaes are generally not used in "display" aquariums, but rather quarantined to a sump

4. GET RID OF YOUR CAULERPA NOW NOW NOW

5. This weekend I am destroying my beloved nanocube because me: lose ... caulerpa: win ... :( It's in my xenia, wrecking my zoos and wasting my mushrooms by growing right ove them.

6. Caulerpa runners (the little roots that reach out and their thread like "grabbers") are toxic to most corals.

nano-dodd

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I built a two gallon refugium above and behind my nano and the macro is growing like kudzu in the south!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I never had such a problem with Caulerpa. As a matter of fact, I kept it in one third of my first reef tank to help with nutrient control and LOVED the results (running sumpless, skimmerless, and refugium-less, no less!).

You have to be careful in how it's pruned, to be sure, it must be removed by the holdfasts, NEVER EVER by simply cutting it. This tends to promote early death, and possibly the nefarious "going sexual". <shrug> I've always been a bit of a rebel.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: