• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

marinesport

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found this on window to the sea.com i was wondering what you guys thought of this package?

New Nano Cube DX is a vastly improved model of the already quality original JBJ Nano Cube. New features include surface skimming filtration and 48 Watts of lighting on an external UL listed ballast. Due to the weight and bulk of this item, an additional charge of $10 will be added to your order with this item.
Nano Cube Reef Package
$169.95 Includes 12 Gallon Aquarium with 3-stage Wet Dry Filtration, Submersible pump with adjustable flow, 24 Watts of Power Compact lighting (50/50 bulb), Floating Magnet Cleaner, fans for ballast and bulb, 50 watt Ebo-Jager Heater, 10 lb Bag of Live Sand, 7 lbs of Live Rock, Salt mix, Reef Buffer 8.3 and bottle of Prime de-chlorinator. Easy to follow instructions help you put this package together in a day and be ready for fish, inverts or corals in 5 to 10 days. Buy this package and save over $25 off our already low prices. * Due to the size and weight of this package an additional shipping fee of $20 will be charged.

i am new to this hobby and i was wondering if buying this would br ok or if i would be better off buying the stuff seperate.

your advice is greatly appreciated
thanks
dan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO... - I'd buy separate. - BUT... - If you can tell FOR SURE that the live rock is really good quality then that would tip the scales IF (and this is a really big if) they actually did include a second 24w lamp and ballast.. - From what I see, its in the initial ad, but the details only say 24w is included in the package.

So.. - IMO, if they actually include a second 24w ballast AND lamp, AND the rock is really good then yeah. - Otherwise, I wouldn't do it..

marinesport

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks fo rthe reply but i guess i was not really clear in my question. i was not so much interested in the quality of the rock as much as the jbj system like the filter. does anyone have any experience using the tank, filter, etc... i am just looking to set it up with a tiny reef and a couple of common clowns. would i be better off just buying a 10 gallon tank and my own filter lights etc..
thanks
dan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh.. - Yeah, the cube itself is pretty nice for an all-in one type of system. Especially if you plan on using PC lights. (I'll be stuffing an additional 32w bulb under mine here this next weekend probably..)

The stuff they put in the back isn't exactly ideal for a reef setup though.. - Most people yank pretty much everything JBJ puts in the back for "filtration".. - I yanked it ALL out myself.

If you don't intend on running it as a "reef" but instead just want a marine fish only (FO) type of setup, then yeah, its great as-is.. - You'll probably just want to keep up on water changes because of its size.

marinesport

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been sitting here reading up on the jbj nano for about an hour now and i think i am going to order one today. any thought on the best place to pick one up? the only lfs i have around is a petsmart so there are not a whole lot of oppertunities for me to ask questions or pick things up. have you or anyone else ever used a product like nutri seawater? i was thinking with this being such a small tank once you put like 15 pounds of lr in it and i was thinking about 2in or so of live aragonite sand it wouldnt hold all that much water if this "premade seawater" would really help my cycle time or if it was just a waste of money?

thanks for your help and input
dan

ps the last dead show before jerry died was #49 for me i sure do miss all those great times!!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't think that premade water is really going to affect your cycle at all.. - Your cycle will come about from the process of anything living on the rock having died from the transport/transplant. - Same goes with the sand.. - If you're talking the manufacturer bagged "live" stuff, yeah, its ok if you're not going to use any live rock, but once you add live rock you've pretty much added everything (and a whole lot more) that you'd get out of that sealed up bacterio-sand.

Not sure what the waters like where you're at but you'd probably be wiser to pick up an RO/DI unit and make your own water.

I think there's a reef shop not too far from ya, I saw a shop owner asking a question in the Industry forum a few weeks back, I'll try and dig it back up and see exactly where he's at again.. (Could be in the UP though, I'll check and post back..)

-- And yeah.. - I wish I could say that I'd seen even a SINGLE show though the 20+ years I've been a fan.. - Something always happened and the closest I'd ever gotten was the parking lot.. :?

marinesport

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey thanks again i ordered the delux nano earlier with the new protein skimmer. when i get a hold of it i will be back with more questions about the filter media and the lighting i did no understand what you meant by pc lighting. i also am surley to have questions about what is best to put in the tank once it is ready.

the lfs you brought to my attention is only about 20 min from my house so i will have to check that out too.
thanks again
dan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem Dan, let me know how that shop looks, its a bit too far to be completely realistic for me to shop at but I may stop by as a quick pit stop to/from canada.

On the PC lights, PC just stands for Power Compact.

Ask away! ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: