• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

waterfaller1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of these little 3 gal eclipse tanks on the shelf in my laundry room..empty.I was wondering if making nanos from them would be possible?If so..what would I do to modify the lighting and filtration?

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two 13w pc setups from www.hellolights.com will work fine for the lights. Simply remove the existing lighting from the canopy and find a way to screw/glue/mount these setups under the hood. I like to leave the ballast external due to cooling issues.

Add 1 inch of sand and fill it roughly 1/3-2/3 full of live rock and water, add one or two small powerheads, and the nano is made. Salinity control may be somewhat of an issue, but a three gallon system even without much evaporation restriction can run for 1-2 days without any topoffs. This is sufficient if you don't travel much...or have access to a decent tank babysitter when you do.

Start off with one small fish and some soft corals, I'd change 75% of the water every two weeks or even half that weekly if you are up to the maintenance tasks. Frequent water changes are not stressful on nano systems that adapt to ideally matched temperature, pH, alkalinity and calcium levels in the change water. I'd even wait a little while to include a fish; just all that much less chance for algae outbreaks in the beginning. After you see that some easier corals will grow just fine there is a good chance your system balance is such that inclusion of a small fish would not alter it all that much.

HTH

Brandon M.

waterfaller1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ditch the bio-wheel altogether correct? Use LS and LR as filtration?Water changes are sufficient without a skimmer?What bulbs would you choose{there are several to choose from}?What PH size would you suggest?Sorry for all the Q's.
Thanks so much for your help 8)

ddold

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the 3 gallon Eclipse on my desk at work ... no problems at all so far, but I currently only have 2 hermits, some mushrooms and a featherduster. Regular water changes keep everything in line.

I am probably going to get a second 3 gallon to convert into a sump for the main tank so I can feel a little more comfortable with bringing in a fish ... and because there's no reason keeping things simple when they can be made hugely complex.

Dave

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL Dave, that's my intent each time! :)

With the live rock being sufficient filtration, I'd forego any other type of filtration as it is just an unnecessary cleaning chore. It will not hurt the system to use assisted filtration as long as maintenance of it is included in the weekly or bi-weekly cleaning regimen.

Let me know how you end up plumbing those bad boys, might like to try your idea on a later pico attempt.

B

keethrax

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
waterfaller1":1sndr0j3 said:
Can anyone please answer my questions :?

whcih ones haven't been answered.

I see:
-LR should be sufficient filtration.
-Water changes should remove the need for a skimmer
-a light suggestion.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Sorry Waterfaller, didn't check that link. Yes, that one will be just fine and will be sized pretty closely..I don't believe it will fit as easily into your lid without a large hole, the plastic housing for those 2 nine watt bulbs is about as large as the cover for a 3 gallon setup. You could just gut it though...but then the separate 13w systems will wall-plug ballasts become a cheaper and brighter deal at that point. The dual nines will work, but will be harder to install cleanly.

B

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use the 9w fixture, because as Brandon mentioned earlier, it would be ideal to locate the ballast remotely. Those built in ballasts over a 3 gallon tank would significantly raise the tank temp, unless you went open-topped, which is opening up a whole new barrel of pickles.
BTW, mounting fixtures of those types inside a hood most likely voids the warranty.

Rick

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: