• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

McFudge

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this tank on July 21st and it is my first time. Here are a few pictures of my tank so far. Please let my know what you think and if you can offer any suggestions or comments.

If anyone can offer some quick tips on taking better pic's with a standard digital camera (Canon S230 Powershot)??? I would like to post some better pictures as these are crap.

You can see my WHite striped Maroon, Baby Blue Tang, Orange Starfish with slightly black tips, 2 snails, and what i believe to be button polyps.

In the close up of the polyps picture. There is some kelp growth on the rock to the right that looks kind of leafy...any ideas what this is...is it good or bad?

In the full tank picture in the botton right there is also some kelp growth on that rock. In the picture it is hard to see as it is kind of white in that picture. It is usually a darker green but is usually that white color in the morning. It is skinny and long. Kind of like a brissle cleaner you would use for a gun barrel...if that helps paint a picture?

I also have a cleaner shrip in there but he is hiding.

Thanks for looking.
1 Maroon Clown(white)
1 Blue Tang
1 cleaner shrimp
2 snails

-McFudge-

Attachments

• tankfront.jpg
    tankfront.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,542
  • polypskelp.jpg
    polypskelp.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,542
  • starfish.jpg
    starfish.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,542
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh-oh...is that a hippo tang in there?

Where are the tang police???

Peace,

Chip

McFudge

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, my bad. Thanks for pointing that out. I tought it was a blue, at least that is what i was told at the fish store. That doesn't make me feel to good about their op.

You said that like it is a bad thing? are pippo tang's bad fish?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
McFudge":270kaaub said:
You said that like it is a bad thing? are pippo tang's bad fish?

Hippo tangs are not bad fish, but you have him in a bad situtation.
I am not an licenced tang policeman, and in fact do not own any tangs, mostly because I have been convinced that even my 90 G tank is small for tangs.

He will grow, become very stressed and die. All tangs are big swimmers and eaters and do not do well in a small aquarium.

See if the LFS will let you return him for something more suitable.

Reguardless, your tank looks great!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, tank looks great, good amount of liverock.. - With just the clown in there not too overstocked (you could probably keep another clown and be ok too as long as you do fairly frequent water changes..)

Recommendations on photographing:
Set the camera to manual focus if it has one, macro mode if it has that. - On mine (an older Sony Mavica FD-83) I usually have to do both of those. In your case I think a couple of the pics above would have come out good if you'd have the camera on a tripod or could otherwise have gotten the camera still when actually snapping off the shot. - The bottom two pics seem to have a bit of motion blur to them if I'm not mistaken. (I'm not a photo geek so take all my advise here with a grain of salt..)

Also, the other trick I have to use with my camera when I am using the auto-focus is that I squeeze down for the camera to set its focus and then I actually have to pull back a bit (sometimes less than an inch sometimes several inches to get MY subject set as the main focal point) the camera often chooses a different focal point than what I want or simply misses focusing on everything altogether..

McFudge

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang":1k2ixe8l said:
Has the starfish moved onto the rockwork at all?

No not at all, at least not that i have seen. He does most of his moving while i am at work during the day. The only time i saw it on anthing but the glass is when i put it in. Do you still think food supply is an issue? Any idea what type of star fish it is?

Thanks everyone for your help and comments!

McFudge

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GratefulDiver":3py3ey91 said:
With just the clown in there not too overstocked (you could probably keep another clown and be ok too as long as you do fairly frequent water changes..)

That is what i would like to do. Get rid of the tang and try do a pair of clowns. I know that creates it's own problems as far as adding another. I would also like to get an anenomi. Any sugestions as to what type of anenomi's can be kept in a nano?

Recommendations on photographing

Thanks for the help, I will try it out and get some new pictures up.

waterfaller1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroon clowns are aggressive,she may not even accept a mate,or another fish in that tank.Oscellaris clowns would do better.The starfish will also not make it in that tank,they need alot of LR to graze,and water parameters in that small of a tank will be difficult to keep perfect..and that's what he needs.Gonioporas need moderate to high lighting,most don't live past 10 months or so,enjoy it while you can.And be sure to pull it out when it's tissue starts to come apart.The hippo tang really should be returned,they grow to about 18"..and even at a small size,need plenty of swimming room,and pristine water,they are also prone to HLLE if they are'nt kept in optimum conditions.NO anemone should be kept in that tank.The lighting is insufficient,most get very large,and again a mature tank w/ excellent water conditions is needed,or it would surely die.

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the tank looks great but the Tang and probably the Starfish need to go.

A mature female maroon clown can be 6" plus,,, will take a couple of years to get that big of course but I wouldn't keep one in a Nano.

There are lots of great fish you could have in here,,, a young pair of oscellaris or percula clowns,,, or a couple of firefish,,, or a pair of clown gobies,,, how about a pistol shrimp/goby setup? Cool.

A BTA anemone could work with a lighting upgrade (I have one in my cube) but I wouldn't recommend any anemone with just the stock 24w PC light.

You got some bad advice at your LFS,,, but you're doing the right thing by asking questions here. Have a look through the older threads on this forum,,, you'll see what other folks have done with their Nanocubes.

Good luck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: