• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I've got four JBJ 12g 48w nano cubes on order, and am building a custom display to have them in a quad at about eye-level. Seahorses in one, pair of helfrichi firefish in another, peacock mantis in the third, and zebra plecostomus in the fourth.

A big project, to be sure, but it'll make a killer display in my new den.

Pictures as soon as I begin construction of the display next week.

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CanadianGuy":2ytmyhxc said:
marillion,
What kind of seahorses are you planning on putting in a 12g tank?

ORA's tank-bred Hippocampus kudas.

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liquid":wjnzccrt said:
Heh, you could pick up a 2.5 gal and do H.zoestrae... ;)

Shane

Shane, if I could find some, I certainly would!!!

:)

Peace,

Chip

CanadianGuy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marillion":2s78gnva said:

Peace,

Chip

A 12g cube is far too small to keep kuda. They need a tank with a height of at least 3 times their full uncurled length. It's not the volume of the tank that's the problem...you can keep a pair of kuda in a 15g...it's the tanks dimensions.

Dwarves are available on a regular basis from several places in Florida. Florida Collector and I believe Florida Pets?
A 12g cube filled with 20 or so dwarves would look awesome!

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Complete Guide to Dwarf Seahorses in the Aquarium
by Alisa Wagner Abbott
Price: $12.57 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. See details.
You Save: $5.38 (30%)
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours
# Hardcover: 144 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.51 x 8.72 x 5.62
# Publisher: TFH Publications; (October 1, 2003)
# ISBN: 0793805341
# Average Customer Review: 5 out of 5 stars Based on 1 review. Write a review.
# Amazon.com Sales Rank: 75,142
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

Awesome book on H.zoestrae. If I had the time I'd do it!

Shane

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CanadianGuy":3n81q0ji said:
marillion":3n81q0ji said:

Peace,

Chip

A 12g cube is far too small to keep kuda. They need a tank with a height of at least 3 times their full uncurled length. It's not the volume of the tank that's the problem...you can keep a pair of kuda in a 15g...it's the tanks dimensions.

Dwarves are available on a regular basis from several places in Florida. Florida Collector and I believe Florida Pets?
A 12g cube filled with 20 or so dwarves would look awesome!

Chip, I gotta chime in with the rest here, that cube would be too small for Kudas they really need extra height in a tank. Dwarves would look neat in that quad, and the setup is so easy (sponge filter, no live rock). The major difficulty with them is hatching BBS every day and keeping hydroids under control.

Tons of info on this board:

http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?s=a ... ece2126df1

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chip, are zebra plecostomus one of a few plecos that are non-rasping? I was wondering b/c I thought nanocubes were made of acrylic.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ricky1414":opkrpor7 said:
Hey Chip, are zebra plecostomus one of a few plecos that are non-rasping? I was wondering b/c I thought nanocubes were made of acrylic.

They don't rasp that much, no. I set up the tanks with wood, though, b/c they like slightly acidic water. They're meat-eaters...bloodworms, bloodworms, bloodworms!

:)

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rasping plecos are often looking for cellulose. You can (attempt to) save your acrylic aquarium by placing a chunk of driftwood or african root-wood in there. They'll hang out on the wood more often, but they may still venture to the glass for algae and regular snacks, etc.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: