• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Spikehs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, I finally got some pics, I was in a bit of a hurry so the pics aren't the greatest.

specs 18x18x18 cube with starphire front/sides 6x18x18 fuge directly attached to the back. Lighting is 2 75w vho's (they are 24 inches so they light the fuge as well) and 3 no actinics (not up yet). Skimmer will be the tunze comline 3110 when it comes in, for calcium I am going to be using a diy kalk reactor. I plan on keeping live rock (well actually tufa rock) in the main tank to a minimum (although more than is in there now!) and packing the fuge with it (and macro)

front shot - notice the 4 returns, 2 on each side
t1.jpg

above shot
t2.jpg

side shot showing sump and fuge
t3.jpg

another side shot showing sump and fuge
t4.jpg

any questions/comments let me know. Thanks.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great setup Spikehs! I can't wait to see the finished product. You have really thought out the system and your approach seems like it will turn out a stable and interesting design. Please keep us posted

Brandon M.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it too..cant wait to see it with water and livestock...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet setup!!!
just a thought--you could throw a SCWD on the returns for alternating flow. What are the holes in the back for? Where did you get the panel that divides the tank?

Spikehs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":au392x76 said:
Sweet setup!!!
just a thought--you could throw a SCWD on the returns for alternating flow. What are the holes in the back for? Where did you get the panel that divides the tank?

I do plan on running a sqwd through the 4 holes in the middle divider of the tank....it will have to sit in the sump with the rock etc. The pannel that divides it was built in, I essentially asked for a 25gal cube with a big overflow. The holes in the back are for the return pump, I didn't want to have the pump in the fuge area taking up space.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I love the look of tufa as base rock.

Once it gets up and running, be sure to put some photos up in the photography forum!! :D

Shinken

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you could stick a little live rock in with the tuffa and maybe it will colonise from the live rock!

Just a suggestion!

Spikehs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, a small update, I have been busy with work this past week so I haven't gotten too much done. The plumbing has been a real PITA, although it should be done this weekend. I am currently assembling my 6 stage RO/DI unit from aquasafe on ebay. I got my lights (2 vho 10k, and 2 actinics), and some filter media (carbon, phosphate/silicate remover, and nitrate remover) in the mail the other day. I plan on running th filter media periodically, just to make sure everything is up to snuff. So if all things go according to plan (which they probably wont!) I should have it up and running by sunday night.

I got a few more pieces of tufa rock but have no idea what to do for aquascaping, to be honest I really want to keep a clean and simple aquascaping concept, so I doubt much more rock will go in, so if anyone has suggestions on what to do with the rock let me have it (its just tossed in there right now) Thanks.

the new rock is the 2 pieces on the right.
t5.jpg

t6.jpg

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...like the tank...really clean setup.

RE:Aquascaping...those 2 original pieces look like about the same size...

Why not try getting another piece of rock, maybe some of the marshall islands stuff...get a nice flat slab of it and put it on top of the 2 pieces? have sort of a bridge if you get my meaning...you would have lots of space on top of the rock to put any corals, etc. and area underneath for shrimp/shy fish to hide..also the slower water current in there and the shade provided by the slab would be a great spot for lower light loving guys like shrooms....That's how my setup is anyway...your results may vary! :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa whoa whoa! This begs the question, now, that Im sure has been alluded to before; whered you get that thing?!?! Thats an awesome tank! Do they (whoever "they" are) make smaller versions?! Thats stimply uber-nifty! Hwarang, beware you nifty-ness crown!

Spikehs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DewrGleision":3rqekeiv said:
Whoa whoa whoa! This begs the question, now, that Im sure has been alluded to before; whered you get that thing?!?! Thats an awesome tank! Do they (whoever "they" are) make smaller versions?! Thats stimply uber-nifty! Hwarang, beware you nifty-ness crown!

well, I got the tank from Inter-America (I live in the same city, so it took < than 2 weeks) But the design was my own.... I did see a similar design on another board, but didn't really have any plans to go over. I am sure they would make a smaller one, if you asked.

Spikehs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, finished the plumbing (basically) - so it should be ready for water whenever I get my ro unit put together and hooked up.
I think I have the rock like I want it (I was going for not much rock and a clean/low profile look), I had to break a few pieces to get things arrange properly.

t7.jpg

t8.jpg

t9.jpg

t10.jpg

Hopefully I can get some salt water and the rock/sand in the fuge before the end of the week.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: