• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

daniel.br

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello There!!!

First of all, I'd like to say I'm new over a international Aquarium forum and sorry about my poor english.

I only use to chat in some brazilians forums

My main objective here is check out what people are doing about reef keeping around the world.

I know I have to get used to the English terms of this hobby and I hope you help me with it.

After all, that's the best part of the internet concept, isn't it!?

So, that's my first question.

How do you guys deal with PO4 Level?
What do you do to reduce it?

Here, we use to use some kinds of resin or introduce some macro-algae in the sump that will consume the PO4.

A partial water change and use of kalkwasser can help it too.

What is ok and wrong with that???

My tank has 250 liters (something like 66 gals) and 6 months. The PO4 level is around 1 ppm.

see ya.

Thanx a lot.
:wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya!

Here, we use to use some kinds of resin or introduce some macro-algae in the sump that will consume the PO4.

A partial water change and use of kalkwasser can help it too.

That's about all I do. What kind of macro are you using? Some are better than others I hear. Grape Calupera has done the job for me. I don't like resin addatives etc, because they fix the symptom not the cause of the problem. Are you using kalkwasser now? And how often do you do a water change?

daniel.br

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Hwarang,

Nice of you reply my Post.

Yeap...I'm using KW w/ RO water when the lights are off.
I use to do partial change of 10% ever month. I use natural sea water for it. There's no PO4 in the RO or the Natural water. I've tested it already.

I have some Caulerpa (That's how we call it in Brazil) in the sump but it isn't the grape kind. It's the one with long leaves you know?! It's very common all over the brazilian coast.

The point is. I've seen some people saying that the macro-algaes can compete with some corals for some resources in the tank, decreasing the growth of them.

Do you know about it? I don't even know if it's true!!!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's the general idea behind adding macros. It's also how you prevent algae in FW planted tanks (your plants out-compete the algae). Tell you the truth, I don't know that much about the science of it ... I've always had a lot of luck with balancing out excess nutrients, etc.

Let me ask you this: are you concerned because the PO4 shows up in a test ... or are you also having some algae issues with the excess?

Cuz I guess if it's just testing too high, but you're not having algae issues, I'd try to up my W/C to 20%, or perhaps keep it at 10% but double the frequency. That's not treating the problem, just mananging the symptom.

Are you dosing anything that could be upping the levels?

daniel.br

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope,

I only dosing kalk..no biocalcium or any kind of suplements...

I'm concerned coz I've some issues with cleaning the glasses all the time coz of the micro algaes....

as well some problem with flatworm infestation..it's not damaging any coral but it's f..ing ugly ya know!!

I supect that those flatws are eating some kind of micro algaes.... coz i use to give food just as much as the fishes can eat...

About my PO4 level, I think I'm not introducing more of it..my tank is just young and it's normal for its age (6 mouths). I just would like to finish the micros and the flats.

That's all my problems

daniel.br

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know about this product...but it's quite dificult to find it over here....

If you know a store that sells it world wide...let me know.....

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Depot also has media called ROWAphos designed to absorb PO4. Works great at removing that last little bit of phosphate from your system that the algae has missed.

Baianotang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
biggie sistem 3 skimmers 350 gallons sun algae filter 6" deep sandbed 150+ lbs of liverock -+
$ 15000
will be ok

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ha! i read earlier this week. i decided i don't love my fish enough to give them some of my VOX.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: