• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I have a 10g hex that is about 14 inches deep. The only corals I have are green star polyps and xenias, both of which are placed about halfway up the tank. The xenia are doing fine but the gsps seem to be losing their color. Only the tips are still green. My question is how much lighting should i have? The lighting setup that i currently have consists of only two 10 watt 50/50 compact flourecent bulbs from Coralife; the screw in kind. That is all that will fit under the hood that came with my tank. Is the wattage of the bulb size dependant or can i get the same size bulbs with higher intensity?

TIA

SpicyBalls

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh.. i tried those bulbs before.. didn't like them too well. didnt seem bright enough even though they used more watts than my flourescent bulbs. i switched back to the flourescents in my 10 refugium.

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the very same bulbs. But I use them on a 2.5 gal.

They are great for my 2.5, but I'm not soo sure about them on a 10 gal.

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know :? ... I have CSL 32 watt 50/50 on my(ok, my wife's) 6 gal. I noticed a similar drop in coloration. My are on the bottom of the tank (~12" down). Yet, the green stars are bigger than they were.

Could it be some lose their color as they grown bigger and spread??

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: