• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Hwarang,
First let me say great mods on your nanocube. I have a few specific questions though; if you don't mind.

I think I got the same fan that you did from radioshack. Mine did not come with screws though. First did you use screws or bolts (without the nut)? and Could you tell me what length and diameter. Will these rust? Should I try to find nylon screws :idea: (which this may be a new eye opener and plus for some). I will just start with these. I don't want to scare you away just yet! hehe.

Thanks, in advance.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow #5, Yellow #5, Yellow #5, 5, 5,

WOOT!

Hi and thanks for the compliments.

I brought the fan to the local hardware store and got some screws that seemed to fit - one thing to notice though is that the bore of the screw holes in the fan is much wider than the bore of the holes in the hood (where the screws actually screw into). So what I did was get 4 sizes that looked likely and brought 'em all home. One fit, it's all good. They're not nylon or special. They're rust-able type normal screws.

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info.

Also did you wire you're fan to your ballast or just hook it up to a powerpack (12vdc).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word on the street is that the JBJ ballasts are not that strong. Even though a fan is a small load to bear, I didn't want to interfere with the ballast running the PC lightbulb. I simply put it in the hood, hooked it up to this kind of power supply (strip wires and twist, then tape, easy):

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...name=CTLG_009_001_001_002&product_id=273-1662

The fan is on the same timer that operates one of the PC light fixtures. It comes on when the light comes on. Timer comes from target, make sure yours has the 3rd prong (ground), if you buy a timer.

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang said:
Word on the street is that the JBJ ballasts are not that strong. Even though a fan is a small load to bear, I didn't want to interfere with the ballast running the PC lightbulb.

That's what I was afraid of too! Hey you're power pack is adjustable nice. They just sold me the plain Jane 12VDC. Oh yeah I remember you mentioned that your fan was adjustable (is set on its lowest setting). Is there a switch on yours or something? or you just flip the different voltages on the power pack?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just flip the voltages on the power pack. i don't use the highest - 12v - even though that's what the fan is supposed to run at: i use one or two steps down. the fan blew a little too much on full power.

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you don't remember the dimensions of the screws that fit huh?

If not its ok, I will do what you did. I know I need about a inch and a half long, but was wondering about the diameter.

Any paticular reason why you mounted your fan on the left as opposed to the right?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don't remember. I brought the fan with to the hardware store, to be sure I got the right length, but completely didn't think about the diameter thing until I was already there. Anyhow, all those extra screws cost like ... 87 cents or something miniscule.

Also - make sure your intake fan is blowing IN. Blowing out will cause a lot of humid, salty air to pass over the fan. I hear this corrodes the heck out of it.

I chose the left side because it was farther away from the pump stuff and little whirlpool caused by my magnet cleaner (i position it to make the whirlpool to break up surface scum). Anyhow, I located the fan away from the spray and stuff that is over by the pump.

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came from Homedepot and no luck on the nylon screws (which I have seen these before). The best I could do was stainless steel. They also had zinc (not sure if zinc is good or bad for fish).

oh, ok makes sense to keep fan away from a little spray and such.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zinc, and other heavy metals (lead, copper, cadmium, mercury, nickel, chromium, arsenic and selenium etc) are toxic to most of the living stuff in your tank. Stainless steel is a better choice.

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notice I said 7% nanocube nation. I saw how you always say 5%, but I think its safe to say it has increased to 7%!! hehe

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool, maybe we should officially bump up the number!

"5% nation of [insert fad or trend here]" is a term used loosely to denote that a small but significant percentage of a population is into a specific activity.

This has been a completely useless factiod.
End Communication.

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you already got the screws, but just in case they didnt fit here's what i got. Zinc wood screws, #6 inch and a half long. They worked perfectly for me, it was like 70 cents for a bag of 10, i only used 2, they're solid, i dont think i need to do all 4 corners...
Also, if you get the fan and ac adapter at radio shack you notice they use the 2 prong adaptaplug thing on the AC adapter. You can get a 6" adaptaplug power lead, which is a male adaptaplug on one end and the other is the wire stripped and tinned. Just connect this end to the fan, with butt connectors, solder, or just twist and tape, and the plug end plugs into the AC adaptor. Its a little cleaner and the power lead is only $3. Its in the same section as the AC adaptor in the store.

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Meloco14,

Yeah, I saw those but I agree with Hwarang that the stainless steel screws may be a little safer. I noticed one of my plastic cylinders cracked a little bit, but the fan is not going anywhere.

I got them to throw in the 2 prong power lead in for free! I drilled a small hole in back of lid, ran wires through, then connected to power lead w/butt connectors and siliconed the hole around the wires. But I still need to go back and exchange for the adjustable powerpack (AC adapter)!

Also, I just ordered my liverock from Fosters and Smith. Should be here Friday evening if all goes well.

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have digicam, but still have not figured out how to get it out of the box. LOL :wink:

I will post pic as soon as I can, hopefully tonight.

I plan on posting lots of pics once my tank is up and running!! me like photos!

"a picture speaks a thousand words" author?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it's attributed to confucious, but most likely that's inaccurate.

There's a chinese ideogram for "a picture is worth 10,000 words" and it's widely credited that the Western use of the phrase came from an instance where an ad was featured on a streetcar with said chinese ideogram.

• translated wrong, the literal says 10,000 not 1,000
• confucious probably never said it
• my explanation could be bullsh1t, but it's the best i could find in 3 minutes of googling the web.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: