• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

[scroll down for pix]

Well I got too frustrated dealing with the shatty ballast that JBJ puts in the nanocube. The light would only turn on intermittently. I monkeyed with the JBJ ballast for a bit. I think it was poor wiring - the connections seemed suspect.

Leftover from my 10 gallon FW planted nano heyday (I had quite a few...), I had a bunch of the 32w custom sea life PC upgrades. It was unbelievable easy to get it in there. I think there may even be a way I can stick a second one in there. Would 64w of 50/50 (10k/true actinic) lighting on a 12g nano be overkill? Or is 32w going to fit the bill just fine? Because I have more of these laying around heh heh ...

1. I had to angle it funny to cram it in the hood. I figure it's ok though, because the angle of the light bulb over the reef is really irrelevant. It's relative to the viewer, and hidden when the lid is closed.

2. I used the original JBJ clip to keep the light off the plastic splash guard. There was not enough room to screw it in and actually mount the light. What I did was flip it upside down and stick it on the end of the light bulb. The nub where the screw normally rests in acts to keep the light propped up over the hood. The rubber boot at the other end is snug in where it sits, and the cord is snug in the little hole that lets it out of the splashguard.

3. I removed the crappy JBJ ballast and bent the reflector flat. I had to curl the bottom edge up to get it out of the way of the screws.

4. I had to cut a little chunk out of the back of the hood where the cord exits, in order to allow room for the new cord (it's like, seriously heavy duty).

You can see in the pic how the clip props it up, etc.

32wLightmod_off.jpg

32wLightmod_on.jpg

Here is a link to the light, I'm not recommending the online retailer (or dissing them), it's just the first link I dug up to the product.
http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104210.html

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job! I have also been guilty of such lighting overkill, which should not be referenced as overkill until temp is no longer able to be kep[t in check. One of the greatest benefits of running up to 26 WPG in my picos was being able to grow SPS at all tank levels, so I say if you can cool 'em you should use 'em. BTW, The WPG statement is a little misleading. That actually does sound like literal overkill but one must consider the penetrance characters of the particular light source: yes 26 watts is a lot to have over a 1g tank but this was a couple 7" 13w PC bulbs, really not all that powerful but quite enhanced in a shallow tank.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, then! I'm going to watch the temps for a while and see how much the 32w light adds to heat buildup. If it's all good in the hood, the second one is getting stuffed in there.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go for the second one. I have 2x32 in both my 10 and my 15. heat's okay, as long as it's got somewhere to go.

B

nanocat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both CSL's will fit, but I'd recommend a 4" computer fan (they screw right into the holes in the hood vents without modification.)

WALD0123

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang, did you try fitting the two CSLs in the Nano? I got a Nano Cube a few weeks ago and I'm thinking of upgrading the lighting sometime in the future. I might just scrap the stock lighting and ballast and get the 2x32W retrofit from CSL. Just wasn't sure if it would fit or not.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet, I was going to do it last night but was distracted. I'll try it out tonight and post about the success or failure.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: