• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya. Welcome to the forums.

You should be using RO or RODI (reverse osmosis / de-ionized) water. Properly filtered water will be a good first step in many things including algae control (by filtering out stuff algae can thrive on) and livestock health. If you don't have a filter to make the water yourself, there are plenty of options:

1. Get it from your LFS. Just about all LFS' will sell you RO water or pre-mixed saltwater (made with RO). Bring your jugs and fill up! The price varies but at my LFS it's like .40 cents per gal for RO and .70 for salty water.

2. Get distilled water from the grocery store or target. It's the kind used in irons and stuff. It's a little more expensive, like .89 cents a gallon, but this is still cheap for a nano aquarium

3. College student? Many universities have labs with RO water ... they might be willing to share a few gallons.

4. Buy an RO filter. May or may not be practical, but if you decide to, ask around this site, search some posts. Lotta discussion about models and which is best etc.

Good luck!

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to those options, many grocery stores have drinking water dispensers out front. Many of these are RO and distilled. There should be a label on the machine listing the filtration used. I know the Glacier water around here uses carbon, UV, RO and then distilled, so its just about as pure as possible, and its only 25 cents a gallon.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, but watch out ... filtered water, spring water and drinking water are not the same as RO water ...

808kb

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the water machines in front of the grocery store that you can fill up with your own container. It claims to go through carbon, micron filter, r/o, uv, then carbon again. It's only 0.25 a gallon. How guarans is that? My LFS claims they use it for topping off, but I think I trust u'all's advice more if you know what I mean.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say - each place may be different. If you're curious, buy a bottle and test it for TDS.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: