• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

warloc4326

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eel of choice is: blue ribbon or ghost ribbon

Basics first, I know about keeping the tank completely sealed, pumps covered, and the invert problems...

Other than that this is some of the info I'm trying to figure out, additional info always welcomed:

Sand size
tank size
feeding (how many times a week, etc)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
warloc,
Other than those, I'd suggest getting a dwarf golden (max size 7"). This may be out of your price range, though, since they go for around $200-300.

I have a Pseudechidna brummeri, and it seems to be doing fine. Rhinomuraenae quaesita has a terrible survival record in captivity. I wouldn't put either of these guys in tanks in a tank smaller than 20 gallons (biting my tongue)...

Sand size is not really that important as far as I know, but I would go with the finer stuff. All eels will rub against the bottom, and the coarser stuff might irritate them.

For feeding, *most* morays do well with 2-4 times a week. I think Rhinomuranae needs to be fed more often. If you get either of these eels I would watch it eat at the LFS first.

HTH, Matt

warloc4326

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, i will be making sure to watch the guy eat at the LFS before i buy it. I was mainly just looking for info about if i need to use a protein skimmer etc... I'm currently running a 25gal nano and using only a powerhead and airstone... All of the filtration is done through rocks and sand. So far my soft corals as well as my stonies are doing very well. Now i just need to get rid of the hair algae

Thom

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're planning a tank for an eel of any type you'll definitely need filtration of some type as eels are slobs. :) A skimmer is highly recommended because you will not be able to utilize the usual cleanup crew as they will be consumed. As a matter of fact one of the best fish for an eel tank is a Dascyllus trimaculatus as they will readily eat the scraps the eel misses and are brazen enough to stand up to an eel.
Live rock with caves is almost a necessity.
Sand size is not very important though finer sand is best so that large particles of food are not trapped. Tank size will vary depending on the type of eel that you get.

Regards,
David Mohr

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: