• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

EB847

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLEASE GIVE SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TYPE/BRAND/MODEL OF FILTER AND OR SKIMMER TO USE WITH A 35 GALLON FOWLR. THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi EB, welcome to reefs.org. I would suggest looking at the CPR BakPak series, or AquaC's Remora models. I'm sure Brandon and Matt may have good (probably better) ideas as well, just give 'em time to catch up here.

Also, please, don't take this the wrong way, but posting in all capital letters is considered somewhat rude, as though you're yelling, on the net.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again, welcome to RDO EB....

SM's suggestions are what I'd go with too. I used to have a CPR BakPak, it worked great.

dsb1829

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of the Hagen Aquaclear hang on filters. A model 300 or 500 would work well for that size tank. This will take care of mechanical filtration, carbon filtration, and also add some good flow/surface agitation.

I would supplement with a skimmer to remove dissolved organic and gunk from the water column. A prism skimmer made by Red Sea is the most economical of the hang on skimmers worth owning. Depending on your budget you can do better with a cpr or Aqua C skimmer, but plan on plunking down $150 minimum for either of these at retail.

warloc4326

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've built the eductor, do a search for it. While you will need to go and get a nice iwaki and spend about 150-300 on the pump you'll be able to use the pump with a Y connector to also do a return from a sump. it is an external drive and works well...

One thing that wasn't mentioned was the need for sound. I mean I run the skimmer during the day and only about 3 times a week, it is very efficient at taking all the organic matter out of the tank. the price paid though is when it comes to the jet engine sound that is produced.

Thom

lefou

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Remora is well worth the extra $60 over a SeaClone. Granted, they do make a little more "white noise" than most skimmers, but there's little else that hangs on the back that's as good. A CPR BakPak is acceptable... price is about the same. I've had a RedSea in service on my nano in the past. Works well enough, but requires almost continual tweaking to keep it up to performance. Definitely a skimmer for those who like to fiddle with their tanks. :)

PeeJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warloc what exactly are you talking about?

what need for sound? and why does your skimmer soiund like a jet engine?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: