• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I moved my nano from a 20 long to a 29 two months back. Have things fairly stable now and am starting to move some corals over. I am trying to recreate some of the stunning semi-minimalist tanks I've seen in Japan - still have some sorting to do but it's coming along and thought I'd share some pics.

Tank specs:

29 gallon tank
2x 18watt t5 blue bulb
1x 75 Watt Actinic VHO + 1 x 75 Watt Actinic white on IC 660 ballast
Aquaclear 500 filled with LR rubble for filtration
Remora Skimmer with Mj1200

25 lbs ultra lively Live rock
1 bag black calcite gravel

Inhabitants:

1 x Midas Blenny
1 x Chalk Basslet
1 x Sunburst Anthias
2 x Scolymia
1 x Lobophyllia
2 x Trachyphyllia
Capnella
Ricordea Yuma
Mis zooanthids and Mushrooms
1 x Cycloseris
1 x Hermit (C.elegans)
3 x Black nassarius snails
1 x Blastomussa
Sinularia dura
Green start polyps

Full tank shot:

29front.sized.jpg

Left side:

29left.sized.jpg

Right side:

29right.sized.jpg

Center:

29center.sized.jpg

Side view:

29side.sized.jpg

Pic of mulitcolored Lobophyllia :

29lobo.sized.jpg

Enjoy!

johns120

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the photo gallery section, I just posted new topic asking to see tanks with black sand as I am considering it. How do you like it? Any regrets?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see some pics of your fish! I'm seriously considering all of your fish for my 125. A group of chalk bass, and a midas blenny. Only difference is a trio of ventralis anthias.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Johns120 - the sand is 'Gray Coast Calcite' distributed by caribsea? I believe. I needed to have some substrate for the scolymias, have tried regular black sand from estes and it shows any speck of food, dust etc too well. This gravel is more of a flat dark grey and looks fine and shows the color on my fish/corals very well.

Matt - I will snap pics tomorrow of the fish. The chalk basslet and sunburst stay in the shadows most of the time - blenny is always out swimming or curled up in the rock - there is a blurry shot of him streaking by in one of the pics above. My midas blenny is really really vibrant in coloration and I like this species since it spends so much time in midwater instead of perching like other common blennies in the hobby.

Appreciate the feedback so far.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Techno, let's use this as our next focus thread. You are using a different aquascaping approach than what is most common in these nanos, the open space allows for easy specimen maintenance and cleaning. Plus, I think it looks great with these full-sized specimens which really brings out the coloring. I've been hooked on wall-effect aquascaping but this design has caught my eye, makes your fish easier to see and in general it's a fine design Sir.

Brandon M.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon - I really like the idea of negative space and having a few large corals that really stand out. I tried it in my 215 and ended up with a wall of rock instead as I added more frags. As this progresses I hope to have corals grow over the two rock piles to a degree but the large polyp corals are to be the focus. It's hard to repress the urge to just cram a lot of stuff in a tank but I'm going to let this develop slowly.

Matt - have had exams this week and couldn't get pics of basslet and anthias , will try monday.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmmmmm ...
*considers technoshaman's tank for a while*

this is good stuff to think about as i cycle my first nanautanque.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All - forgot about this thread. I'll dig up the pics and re-link them for ya.

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of japanese aquariums, anyone know where I could find a bunch of examples with pictures online of them. There use to be a link floating around here somewhere but that was quite a while ago and the search didn't help all that much. thanks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: