• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ajs

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 12g nano cube last week. Got everything running. the specific gravity and temp are fine. Added live rock, live coral, a clown fish, and a blue tang. The tang died in less than 48 hours and the clown seems to be fighting but is floating at the top a lot and swimming near the back of the tank constantly. I'm totally inexperienced and have no idea what to do. Help

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ajs":9yrwsmme said:
I set up a 12g nano cube last week. Got everything running. the specific gravity and temp are fine. Added live rock, live coral, a clown fish, and a blue tang. The tang died in less than 48 hours and the clown seems to be fighting but is floating at the top a lot and swimming near the back of the tank constantly. I'm totally inexperienced and have no idea what to do. Help

UMMMM, you need to cycle your tank first. take your living fish back to the store, scold them for selling them to you at this stage of your tank, and you need to wait several week to 2 months to let your tank cycle. And by cycle, I mean build up enough denitrifying bacteria to convert ammonia(deadly) to nitrite, then to nitrate(deadly to some inhabitants, but not as much), and finally to nitrogen. Simply, your tank is much too new. Then you can slowly add your livestock- but definately not a blue tank for a 12g.

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing is 12 gallons is sooooooo small for a tang. ANY tang should not be in 12 gallons, IMO.
How much live rock is in your tank?
What is the lighting
What corals did your add
Get a test kit if you dont have one for
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

shr00m

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your fish died becuase you didnt cycle your tank, you either didnt research first, or ignored your research, you should have waited at least 3 weeks to a month after adding l/r, and NO way should a tang be in a nano tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: