• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

shark0105

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to set-up a new nano and would like to hear the thoughts and ideas that you all will undoubtedly have to offer. I bought an 18 gallon acrylic tank from the "Acrylicman" on EBAY and started brain storming on things to alter so that it would meet my expectations. It came with 2 2X18 PC lights kits in the hood. I will list below the set-up I have planned in my mind, please ask away and make suggestions, also keep in mind this is my first post although I have been reading and following the forums well over six months on this site.

18 gal tank(3 gal of which is the filter section in the back)
72W PC
1W LED Moonlight
Venturi Skimmer
Small chiller
HOB refugium w/13watt Jalli light
50 watt heater

The intent is to set the tank up with LR, LS, soft corals(Zoo's, shroom, polyps, etc.....), handfull of small fish(2 Clarki's, a watchman goby, and clown goby), and the standard reef cleaning crew of hermits, snails, serpent star, pistol shrimp, and maybe a cuke(never had one and I'm curious). The one thing I'm concerned about is flow in the tank. For those of you who are familiar with these tanks the stock outflow is from the right side of the back wall about the middle of tank height wise. I'm not certain what type of plumping acces., if any, I should place on the output to control and adjust the flow.

I humbly place myself at your feet and I am ready to receive...........

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
" I humbly place myself at your feet and I am ready to receive..........." Jeez, don't flatter us too much, now... :D

shark, I think you have great ideas going there. It certainly sounds like you're going all out with the capacity of this tank. A couple questions:
Why have a HOB fuge? Why not just use the back section?
How does the water drain into the back section? Does it overflow, to suck off the surface scum?

The only suggestions I can think of are:
to make a spraybar with that outflow. Plumb an elbow on there with a length of the right size ABS pipe sitting horizontally across the back wall of the tank. Then drill holes so that some shoot towards the water surface, some straight forward, etc.
If you do get a cuke, and I'm assuming you've researched them fairly well, check out what are called "little yellow cukes." They are solid bright yellow. I have no idea what the scientific name is, but they reproduce asexually under good conditions and stay small (around 2" or so?).

Oh yeah, I doubt you'll need a chiller, but check out the "Iceprobe" if you do.

shark0105

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Matt.

The reason I wanted to use a HOB fuge is actually because the chiller I plan on using is the "Iceprobe". I did not want to drill the tank at all. So I thought it would be better to drill the 30 dollar fuge instead of the 190 dollar tank. I think if the Iceprobe is put in the fuge just below the inlet of the outflow pipe it would work well and not effect the fuge much, if at all. The reason I wanted to have the chiller is because my airconditioning is not very reliable and I had a big problem with temperature last summer that resulted in very poor conditions and some animal deaths. :evil:

The tank water enters the filter section via an overflow built into the partition wall. So I think that should cover any surface scum problems.

I'm trying to get everything set and worked out so that once the tank is setup I don't have to try and figure out how to alter an existing setup. Tinkering can be fun but it stresses the tank and its occupants. I want to avoid any tinkering if possible once the tank is set up. Thank you for the suggestions and anyone else who has incite it would be greatly appreciated.

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Shark,

Setup sounds very nice,, be sure to post pics.

Acrylic is really easy to drill,,,, none of the palpatations you get drilling glass. When I drilled my acrylic fuge I used a hand-held drill with a wood bit,,, cut through like butter,,, then made the hole bigger with a dremel.

Good luck

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shark, that's a good idea. Where did you find a fuge that cheap?

shark0105

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thirty dollar fuge came off of EBAY. There is a guy from PA or Ohio that sells a kit for different sized fuges. I ordered a 12x4x12 fuge that is a HOB. The only catch I found is that you have to assemble it yourself, do all the acrylic joints and such. This was not clear in his auction. However for that price I can live with it. It also mates up very well with the Jalli 13w PC light.

I think I solved the water direction flow control issue as well. I ordered some of the product on this site: www.modularhose.com. It is flexible pvc like pipe that has a variety of adapters and different nozzles to control output. This was the answer to my problem and then some. I hope the stuff turns out to be as great as I think it is. If anyone has experience using it or something similar please share your thoughts.

Pic may be a while off but I will post them for sure, I have not even started to assemmble the system yet. Still waiting on stuff to be shipped.

shark0105

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from them today. This is what I think will be the solution to my anticipated flow issues in this tank. The recent addition o f black as a color option is key as well. I would encourage enveryone to vist their site and check it out. I think the application of their product in the reef hooby could be huge. They also haven't started to gouge their prices like other businesses do when they find out that us "rich" reef keepers are using what ever they sell for our tanks.

shark0105

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have things up and running although not yet fully as planned. The thirty dollar fuge was a POS and will not work on this tank. :evil:

I have attatched some pics as files below. I also will include a pic of my six gallon nano that is getting transfered into the 18 when i'm satisfied things are ready and i have the kinks worked out.

So with out the fuge I need to work on another way to get the Ice Probe in the loop without drilling the tank if at all possible. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Current specs are:

72W PC
LED Moonlight
50 Watt Heater
20lbs Indo Pacific Live Sand
Skimmer
2 small pieces of LR that I had and wanted to use to start the cycle

No IceProbe :evil:
No Fuge :evil:

Any and all thoughts are welcome........

Attachments

• test 011.jpg
    test 011.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 2,205

shark0105

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More Pics

Attachments

• test 009.jpg
    test 009.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 2,202
  • test 012.jpg
    test 012.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 2,202
  • eclipse6.jpg
    eclipse6.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 2,204

shark0105

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I go this route I need that has a three inch wide and long area
minimum to setup the Ice Probe properly and I will have to remove the
skimmer from the filter area and get HOB skimmer or a DIY that will meet
my needs. Thanks for the input I will start looking for one that will work, if
anyone knows of any that will work please speak up, more talking - less
lurking. I'm very excited about this tank but a little disappointed in the
size of the "filter area" in the rear......

Lostmind

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually, the aquaclear 500 has about 10 inches by 4 inches for the filter area that you can use.

remove the filter and you can put a skimmer, heater, etc in there. turn it to a minifuge even :)

shark0105

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got every thing out of the old tank and into the new one. I'm fairly happy with how things have turned out. Any thought or suggestions?

Attachments

• test 022.jpg
    test 022.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 2,133

shark0105

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the aquaclear 500 and put it on the back. Drilled the back and
placed the Iceprobe in the media area. Great suggestion. Temp never
varies more than one degree. Thank you. :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: