• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Matt_W and Hwarang...i know you guys have had a good amount of success with nanos and im really contiplating a 10gal nano...i have the lighting and tank..obviously i need sand and LR..no prob on that...how ever skimming...that is the question...do any of you guys skim???or do you just use PHs and some sort of bio filtration?

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not realy needed for a ten unless you have a huge bioload. Keep up circulation and it should be fine. Although, it never hurts to skim.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. If you are building a sump, or have a skimmer already laying around, I would either use it or build one. If not, it's simpler to just go w/o one. My SPS tank doesn't have one. If you want to build one, I can post plans for an airdriven $10 DIY one that works really well. You would need to buy a cheap air pump as well, if you don't already have one.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hang on fuge for my 10. everything grows like mad in it (razor, grape, halemedia, cheata,) and keeps my tank nice and clean. I'll even admit I sometimes go 6 weeks without a water change, and everything looks great.

I built the fuge for less than $30 with everything included. I'll send you plans if you want.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I've attributed my success to two main things:

1. Frequent aggressive water changes (3 gal midweek and 3 gal weekend or 4 gal every weekend if i was lazy and missed the midweek one)

2. Purposely low bioload.

However...

I really wanna get this tank up to show quality. I wanna have 100% super sparkly clean polished water. So I was looking at skimming options ... everything from a skilter (lol good idea bad realization) to constructing my own mini skimmer (i used to work for a plastics factory doing fabricating and design w/ lexan acrylic). Anyhow, therein lies the Wub.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
matt, could you post those plans please? i'm kinda interested in constructing a small DIY skimmer.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on it...I thought I had pics, but I don't. I'll go down to the hardware store and build one, then take pics. The things I do for you guys... :roll: :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great matt..send me those plans when you get a chance...i have a hang on fuge, that has a big gap..thats easily fixed, but i think that'll go to my 20...Hwarang...your treading on my water... :lol: ..

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice..gonna have to look at that more in detail when i have time... :D thx matt...favorite places...seems fairly simple....ps that was quick....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: