• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I just wanted to do an informal poll and see what everyone thought might be a fish well suited to life in my 12g JBJ nanocube.

Already in it: porcelain crab, some hermits or varying species, mushroom corals, pumping xenia, ricordia ... nothing major.

I like the idea of a Common Firefish. They just look so pimp. The LFS swears up and down that it wouldn't be happy in a Nanocube, tho. Hmm ...

The other idea I really like is a shrimp / goby combo. I was cruising the net and I saw some pix of what looked like an atlantic pistol shrimp with a candycane goby (Stonogobiops xanthorhinica). What do you think about that? Otherwise I was thinking of getting a yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp. What about that one? I think the yellow goby is kinda boring ...

Here is the pic of the candycane w/ pistol shrimp:
g053a.jpg

I'm not opposed to getting just a fish in there, as I already have a porcelain crab that's pretty sweet, know any?

So, In recap:

1. Firefish happy in a 12g?
2. What about pistol shrimp / candycane goby?
3. what about pistol shrimp / yellow watchman goby
4. Do you favor any particular fish? Got a suggestion? Lay it on me.

Ducman996

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me offer the following.

1. I don't see why not. When I had my 55gal. I had a firefish and he never ventured more that 12 inches from his little hole in the rock. Even if I scared him when I would be cleaning or such.

2,3,4. I really don't have an opinion on. All I can say is that it is YOUR tank and you can put anything you like (within reason) in it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2,3,4. I really don't have an opinion on. All I can say is that it is YOUR tank and you can put anything you like (within reason) in it.

Cool, that's pragmatic. But I was hoping for ideas, suggestions. I'm still kinda new to this hobby and I don't know all the fish that well. Also, I've cruised countless marine livestock sites (both catalogue and retail), but they tend to have similar selections.

If it were your tank, what would you do?

Ducman996

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was mine....I would put a clown and a firefish. Which I have done. Although I will be replacing my firefish (who has decited to be lunch, i guess) when I see more at the LFS.

Also I would find more information about your LFS. They may not know what there are talking about. A great deal don't. I'm not saying they all are like that, most times they seem to feed people lines to get them to buy stuff. The easist way to do this is to ask the boards and find out if any one else has experience with your LFS..

I favor clowns because there are always moving and pleasant to watch. I like the firefish because he likes to dart in and out of the rock. That and my fiancée likes him because of his dorsal fine. She says it looks like a shark.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool, thanks for the suggestions. they have a maroon clown with gold bars at my favorite LFS. but then again, i already have clowns in my 30g... hmm hmm.

i think this LFS is pretty good. the owner is knowledgeable as well as a proper businessman. a few of the employees didn't know answers to my questions once, but they were cool and upfront about not knowing, rather than talking some BS at me. it's one guy in particular at the LFS who says the firefish is no good for a nanocube.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what kind of relationship an anemone crab and pistol would have, but I wouldn't expect good things. I thought mine would be OK, but I'm fairly sure the pistol killed the crab. Of course, I didn't have an anemone for mine.

If you do go that route though, I think you'll find S. nematodes much easier to find, and it looks nearly identical to the species in the pic.

This thread is a good reason for me to finish up my fish list stickie. Some of the nicer fish I can think of that would work in a JBJ--Gramma loreto, a pair of Pseudochromis fridmani (very, very cool fish), 8 line wrasse, Chalk basslet (Serranus tortugarum), Midas blenny, one of the dwarf moray eels, the golden dwarf only gets like 7" IIRC, but costs around $250. I would get a pair of yasha gobies if I didn't already have one. A helfrichi's firefish is cool if you want something different. Frogfish might work, but it might eat your crab too. There ar some cardinals in the genus Apogon that stay very small and even form schools that you might try researching as well....
sorry, that's all I can think of right now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: