• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

runt

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

A quick question about lighting.

We bought a 16 gallon cube complete set up. It is 16" deep. It came with a compact flourescent that is 18W. Our only light demanding occupants are bulb/bubble anemones. We have been told these only require medium light. We DO NOT intend to add any corals, or anything that else that requires a high amount of light.

Once source has said the lighting is sufficient. Another has said add another 18W.

What do you think? Leave it, add another 18W or try to add more?

Thanks, Merlynn

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a much much stronger source of lighting than either of those options. I would go with a higher wattage PC (like 96W) or a small metal halide setup (around 70-100W) for lighting a bubble tip anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor). You could keep on the 18W and use it at dusk/dawn to simulate sunrise/set.

BTW, Welcome to reefs.org!

nanocat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. 18W is barely over 1W per gallon. I wouldn't even try an anemone in my 24W 12 gallon.

If you have room for it, consider two 32W CSL retrofits for 64W (13" long IIRC)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The total wattage is not as important as the intensity. A single 96W PC bulb is much more favorable than, say, 10X 13W PC bulbs, even though the total wattage is greater in the latter example.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: