• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ufcd98

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm trying to squeeze a question in here cause i prefer the advice from here.

So when planning my move from 10g to a 40g long (which i consider a nano, just stretched out), i realized the little powerhead that swirls things around in the 10g will be inadequate for water movement in the 40.

since the tank is 4ft long, but only 13 wide, i'm figuring on blasting L-R on the back, to create a circular swirl in the tank. Should i use several smaller powerheads across the back, or a single big one in a corner? I'm only interested in low heat, not appearance. Also, does anyone have other advice regarding water flow? Maybe lots of powerheads shooting from the back to the front? maybe a big one at each end shooting at each other in the middle?

it's much easier to decide these things BEFORE the tank is up.

steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve,
I used to have a tank with very similar dimensions--4 ft long, 12" wide, 12" tall--a custom 30 long.

I had two water outlets on each back corner facing at the middle of the front glass. I also ended up adding a small powerhead in the middle of the back rockwork pointed at the back corners. Directly underneath the outlets in the back corners was where detritus tended to accumulate.

If I could re-plumb the system, I would have done it differently: Put the outlets at the front of the tank, pointing at the rockwork rather than at the front glass. Also, I would have drilled small holes in the PVC elbows that diverted a tiny bit of flow directly beneath the elbow to the front corner.

I would consider putting your PHs on wavemakers also if you haven't already. Maxijets do really well on wavemakers. Two maxijet 1200s along with your current powerhead should be adequate for your tank.

ufcd98

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again, i appreciate the response. any recommended brand of wavemaker? it sounds like you don't recommend a L-R flow, more of a front-back. do i have that right? i'd been planning maxijets, but it's good to hear a second vote.

thanks
steve

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: