• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Hey I just whipped this up for someone at another forum, thought I'd share it here in case anyone has any questions.

The red box indicates the 2"x4" plexi rectangle that you would hot glue to the inside or outside of the vent.

Hope this helps someone!
-me

nanosump.gif

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi H-dog,
First let me say, thanks for this great post & diagram!

I guess the main reason for this mod is to remove surface scum, right?

If you cut a much smaller slot at the top say 1 or 2 inches and left the vent alone ( don't hot glue etc.. ) would this also work? Water should come out both the small slot at the top and vent at the same time right? I hope

Just wondering because I don't necessarily want to block off my vent. In case water level gets lower than the top slot it could pose a problem. Just an extra precautionary measure I guess.

What do you think, oh President of Nanocube nation.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the main reason for this mod is to remove surface scum, right?
Yep, that's the reason.

If you cut a much smaller slot at the top say 1 or 2 inches and left the vent alone ( don't hot glue etc.. ) would this also work? Water should come out both the small slot at the top and vent at the same time right? I hope
Not really. If you don't plug the vent up, water will simply pass through it and never go over the top of the overflow you cut.

Just wondering because I don't necessarily want to block off my vent. In case water level gets lower than the top slot it could pose a problem. Just an extra precautionary measure I guess.
That'll never happen. When you make this modification, the water level in the front of your tank is forever stuck at "full" ... as evaporation occurrs the water level in the "sump" area lowers.

Think about it like this: Water isn't flowing between the display and the sump area. The pump is in the sump, taking water from the sump and pumping it into the display area. The water in the display area piles up until there's so much that it spills over the edge. This puts water back into the sump. Then it's pumped back into the display where it again piles up until the display is full and it again spills over the edge.

It's just like that, but happens smoothly in the aquarium. The problem you have to watch out for when making this mod is to start topping off daily. Even a little bit of evap makes my filter media exposed ... boo!

ccny

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang, any problems with snails climbing over the cutout that you made? Seems like they could easily get confused and sucked in, especially wandering nassa snails. Some sort of a clip on mesh would be perfect there.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I worry. No problems yet. My Nassy's rarely climb the glass, though. They stay buried until feeding time (I have 35 in my nanocube, LMAO! But it's sweet to see a million little snorkels sticking up).

I worry more about my 2 clown gobies, but they're still good to go. If I can find the right mesh, I'm to put it on...

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang":1bskttje said:
Think about it like this: Water isn't flowing between the display and the sump area. The pump is in the sump, taking water from the sump and pumping it into the display area. The water in the display area piles up until there's so much that it spills over the edge. This puts water back into the sump. Then it's pumped back into the display where it again piles up until the display is full and it again spills over the edge.
Sweet idea Hwarang, but isn't this how a sump is supposed to work? :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ricky1414: exactly. I was just laying it out for newreefer, in case he was confused (no offense new reefer!).

I had trouble visualizing what this overflow did because I've never had a sump or seen this mod in operation. So I figured maybe the explanation would help.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, I think it's time for me to install a grate, or whatever. Lost one of the yellow clown gobies over the edge. He was swimming around the filter compartments yesterday, but I couldn't get him out. This morning the pump is making a funny noise and I don't see him back there ...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: