• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started work on my new 2.5gal pico project as I mentioned in the previous 1/2 gallon post.

I've got the cabinet built and the tank done, I just need to get the lighting and powerhead and fill it up. Heres a few pictures.

Attachments

• cabinet angled view.jpg
    cabinet angled view.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 3,058
  • cabinet front view.jpg
    cabinet front view.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 3,059
  • hood.jpg
    hood.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 3,057

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More piccies

Attachments

• put together.jpg
    put together.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 3,053
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 3,054

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm gonna have to go with a 2" plenium. 4" takes up over half the tank :). 2" is still a fair bit, but its tolerable.

I got the lighting, a 50/50 10k mini compact flourescent bulb and I butchered the 2.5gal standard hood, removing the black compartment and keeping the socket and reflector. (Have to figure some better alternative, it dont look too pretty but will do for now)

I have a aq 201 powerhead in there at the moment, only problem is, its digging up all the sand. Half of one side has piled up from the other.

More updates when I have em.

Attachments

• powerheadtrouble.jpg
    powerheadtrouble.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 3,022
  • 10kminicompact.jpg
    10kminicompact.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 3,024
  • tankage.jpg
    tankage.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 3,024

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyway to stop the sand moving in the corners. I was thinking maybe directing the flow directly at a piece of LR, but then that would mean some polyps or a mushroom that I put on that rock will be in direct flow.

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had it running a couple of days now, but got a slight problem with overheating.

I live in Pennsylvania and its not even that hot here, but the tank still gets to 84'f and up. I dont even have a heater on the system.

Will have to figure something out how to stop it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of stuff are you running that could possibly make so much heat? Un-efficient powerhead? Is it next to a wall that gets direct sunlight for at least half the day? Whats under your house; is it on a concrete slab and raised and supported above it, or are you on those kind of post-stilt sort things (like here in CA for earthqueakes and stuff...)?
Try the heat transfer idea thats been circulating around this board (the nanos forum, that is), using heatsinks and maybe a some fans... Hwarang will know, as will some of the DIYers in the DIY forum!
Hope that helps...

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the temperature down by simply adding a fan. Problem now is I need to add a heater so that the temp don't get too low. Just can't win.

All equipment was listed earlier in the thread. It was just an un-naturally hot humid day for PA, temp rose up. I got it under control, but now I just have to add a very small heater to stop it going in the opposite direction.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice.

I'd make the top solid and screw the pc reflector to the top. It's small enough to pull the top of when you need to feed/clean/ect.

B

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another week or so, then I can add a coral or two. The peppermints are tearing through the aiptasia (that I'm ashamed of) very nicely.

When I get the coral, probably some yellow polyps or mushrooms. I'll post a pic of the tank.

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okeys, I still didn't buy any corals yet, but I did add a clean-up crew, an emerald crab and 4 blue legged hermits. There was also a turbo snail, but the peppermints tore him apart in front of my eyes.

I started getting a little hair algae, but the crews been in there one day and already devoured most of it.

I'll most probably be adding a coral or two in the next few weeks however.

I decided to add another 11watt 50/50, 10k mini compact to the set up too, so theres approximately 9watts per gal now.

I'll continue to update as I add to the tank.

Attachments

• double lights.jpg
    double lights.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 2,886
  • full rock view.jpg
    full rock view.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2,888

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my first coral to the tank.

Its Green Star Polyps.

Attachments

• greenstar.jpg
    greenstar.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,843
  • greenstar2.jpg
    greenstar2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 2,841

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its only the second day its been in there and not all the polyps are open.

Plus the stupid peppermint shrimps keep jumping all over and annoying the hell out of it.

Shinken

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering, Why the plenum? Im not saying its a problem just wondered why?

The setup looks cool!

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I'm a big believer in the plenum system.

If I was to do the 2.5gal again however I'd remove it just for the added space.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: