• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was bored and I've been thinking of getting a cube for a while, so I bought one. Right now I'm just tinkering around with it and trying to figure out what mods if any I want to do. I'm thinking of changing the lights mostly because I've heard these ballasts give out all the time. Anyone have any good relatively easy mods theyve done to theirs that the would recommend? Thanks

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I already have a couple questions. For those of you who replaced the pump, how did you get the powercord through? Did you have to cut a hole big enough to get the plug through? Also there are two grills/vents to let the water through to the filtration section, but only the top one is actually open. The bottom one is solid with a grill over it. Is this the same on all of them or is my bottom one supposed to be open too?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, another member of the 5% nation of JBJ nanocube.

Yeah, get a new light. I was able to fit a 32w smartlite in mine. Someone said they fit two in, but I was unable to. I have a mild heat problem with this light. Need a fan.

The little rubber boot where the cord goes through the hood should slip out when the hood is in the open position. It's tricky, but you can get the cord out without wrecking things.

Both of my vents are open.

:) Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My top vent is open, the bottom is closed. My light has worked just fine so far, but I've only had it around 6 months now. Personally I would let the manufacturer pay for it if the light gives out. They seem to have a good service rep.

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, I was able to get the powerhead cord out without too much trouble. Also I think I will leave my bottom vent closed and try to get as much surface skimming as possible (I extended a few slits higher up to hit the surface). I decided to add a little 13 watt PC to the stock lighting, this will give me 37 watts and I'll see how the stock lighting holds up. I may end up switching it out down the road. I also will drill out the return and put a little diverter in there that came with one of my powerheads. Then of course I took out the crap in back, changed the PH, and will add some rubble. This should suit me for a while until I think of something else to do :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of 13 watt PC fixture is it? can you link me to the exact one? i want to buy one and beef up my wattage, but i'm worried about the "affixed ballast" that most of those 13w jobbies seem to have - where the ballast is part of the fixture, right where the bulb plugs in. it looks pretty thick, and i dunno if it would cram in my hood.

also what kind of bulb is it?

if you could give me a brand name or direct link, i would really appreciate it.

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its kind of a frankenstein project. I got the idea from this thread http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... t=nanocube
I don't know if I got the same worklight or not, but I picked it up at Home Depot. Its like a long yellow tube and was $20. I took it apart and there are two wires connecting to the bulb, which is a Bayco 13w 6500K. You can also buy replacement bulbs from hellolights, I will probably order a 50/50. They have the same gx23 base. Anyway there are just two wires, I will have to extend them, and I will probably have the ballast and switch coming out the back of the cube. There definitely is room under the reflector for the ballast, but I don't feel like trying to fit it in there right now. I will try to get my brothers digital camera and take some pics. Anyway I hope this helps for now.

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Meloco,

Ya,, it's the same light,,,,I don't know why it's so much more expensive at HD. I had to buy another one at WalMart last week as my stock ballast went tits-up,, needed some emergency lighting.

cain

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, another nanocuber!

Hwarang got me motivated to add some extra lights after looking at pics of his amazing cube. I ordered another hood with the works from JBJ so I could make most of the mods before taking the top away from tank. 48w should be enough light.

I am also adding moonlight with "mood lights" for cars found at Target (9.99-4.48 depending on the store). There are two LEDs that come on little swivel stands so you can point them exactly where you want the light to shine.

I am thinking a fan will be needed.

Bottom vent is covered inside with a plastic trading card holder. Perfect fit.

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all the little upgrades that can be so easily done. If anyone else has suggestions, keep giving 'em.
Juck - Thanks a lot for that worklight idea, it seems like it will work really well. I am thinking of putting the ballast next to the original one behind the reflector, there is definitely room, I just need to put in the effort...I'm notoriously lazy...oh well

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooo, cain, i'm going to go to target and get some of those mood lights. pimp.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: