• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

surfdawake

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 30w vho lights and i want to use them on my 10g, is that gonna be enough to keep softies and stuff?? thanks austin

surfdawake

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just to clear this up for me, like bubble corals, and stuff like that, thats softies, right??? and what are xenia

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually a bubble is a LPS (large polyped stoney) coral. A bubble would likely do fine under your lighting, however it would quickly outgrow your tank. I had a bubble in my 75, under 4-110W VHO and it thrived. It reached the size of a football in under a year. Imagine that in a 10G.

Louey

surfdawake

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so will most lps do well in it to. i have a 29g with metal halide that i can move them to and i know a couple shop owners that trade me for stuff

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew VHO lights were made at such low wattage.

It's hard to say what you could keep. Bubble corals would probably be OK, but they're sort of the low end of what stony corals need for lighting.

BTW, I think a lone football sized bubble in a 10 g with some commensal shrimp would be sweet, call me crazy.

surfdawake

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually they do, they come at 18" but i have been checking into them, and mine are the 24" not the 18's, so they are both 75wts not 30, the guy i bought them from was confused on what size i had, so with that said, that is 15wts per gallon, so is that gonna be enough to keep any other stony corals??? thanks austin

Dewman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is going to get me in trouble with some people, but I have a Light fixture on my 10 Gallon with 2 X 40 Watt PC's, and the previous owner was keeping SPS, LPS, and Clams with no trouble. In fact as you can see in the picture, they almost outgrew his tank before he moved them to a 29 gallon.
15 watts per gallon is WAYYY more than enough. Just keep you water quality VERY high.
Here is the pic of his tank below...

Attachments

• 10galreef.jpg
    10galreef.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 680
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that watts per gallon is not really a good measure of how much light the corals are actually getting, feel me?

I don't know the comparison of VHO and PC in terms of wattage. I always think it's a good idea to start with easy stuff, see how it does for a few months, then add harder to keep corals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: