• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Ducman996

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,

I am strying to decide what other softies I want to place in my tank. Are there any good online resources that I can read up on the different species. Also I am looking for recomendations? What do you have and what type of feeding/maintaince schedule are you on? Anything that you have to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is gonna sound kinda vague, but really just about every photosynthetic soft coral is possible in your tank. The beauty of soft corals is that they're not only hardy, but they're easy to prune. This is especially beneficial in nanos. Good choices include Leathers, Finger Leathers, Devil's finger, and Kenyan Tree Corals; pretty much all Sarcophyton sp. and Sinularia sp. would make for great softies in your JBJ.

Mushrooms, zoanthids, and polyps (clove polyps, star polyps, etc.) are also common additions to nanos. The problem I've had with them is they spread too fast and sometimes are hard to keep in check because of how hard they are to remove from rocks. Some people also like Xenia in their nanos, but mine don't fare very well for long periods of time; they just eventually crash for no reason I can explain.

I usually do not feed my photosynthetic softies anything at all. Some people feed them with phytoplankton (like DT) but I found no benefit in doing so. Other then pruning the corals back every month or so and doing the regular maintanence like water changes and cleaning filtration, there's nothing to keeping softies :)

Sorry, but I don't know of a reliable place online that gives you info on soft coral husbandry. There's a bunch of info scattered around all over the net ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: