• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

neal31

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been into reef tanks for a long time but because i have moved a lot in the past 2 years i hade to get rid of my tank :( , but the good thing is i just sold an old car and have $400 to start up a nano reef. i know that thay are much more dificult than bigger tanks because its more dificult to keep everything inline (water quality temp etc). but do you all think i can start up a nice tank for $400 and what size??? i will also be doing soft coral using a fine sand botom about 3inch deep no bio filter and a good skimmer. also whats a good quality skimmer for a small tank. thanks for all the help

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can do it..minus inhabitants..a JBJ 12 nano cube for about a 100 and the rest is just finding what you need..

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not spend the 100 dollars on a nano-cube.
I think you could start a sweet 20g high with 400$
20$ tank
86$ MH HQI ballast (250 watt)
65$ bulb
15$ HQI socket
20$ heater
100$ simmer
50$ MAG DRIVE
40$ SCWD
Thats 396$ and what I think would be a great start to a long term great setup. Some of the DIY stuff may through you into the 420-450$ range. Once you buy wood and PVC.
BTW with the magdrive and SCWD....I was thinking a closed loop style HOB.
This is sounding like a cool setup. Maybe I should stop the planted tank and nano vase I'm working on to do this.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See the stuff you mention is all gonna depend on where he lives..ill tell you i cant get a 20H for 20bucks here. 100bucks for a skimmer man im telling you youre hurting yourself in the long run if you go cheap on skimming all the rest i can agree with reefann but like i said it depends on what you can get and the prices at the LFS in your area.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW with the nanocube you can do all sorts of mods to it...talk to a guy on here named Hwarang, has done some killer mods.. the JBJ nano cube comes with PC lighting and built in filter...

Kevin1000

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup a 55 gallon tank for under $400 - some of the stuff is used and the remora skimmer was a factory second but you can do alot of your not in a rush.

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen CPR backpack skimmers sell for less than 100$ on ebay.....I think this skimmer would suffice for ANY 20gallon. After shipping most times you will be in the 100-120$ range.
As for tank costs I guess living near a large mail order place has spoiled me to some degree. You will have to check for yourself and see what the local LFS sell their tanks for. The cheap ones at the store near me are perfecto.
BTW I choose a 20 HIGH because only one metal halide is then needed.

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not get a nanocube either when you can get a 10,15, or 20gal. glass tank dirt cheap. Not if I was on a tight budget anyway. With a small tank like this, you could get by with regular water changes until you could save up for a good skimmer. Just use cured LR when you setup. No use wasting money on a cheap piece of crap skimmer that will be thrown out anyway. Get the MH too, you will want them sooner or later anyhow. Good luck with your project!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 20H so i can give a hand on some of that..i do have a Bak Pak 2R also...If you want to go used and play the e-bay risk game you can save money i guess, there are always short cuts some of those are gambles IMO..

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Nikon, I've never bought anything off e-bay, but have read posts of people getting ripped off. Seems like a gamble indeed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: