• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

investigator1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardware Specifications:

-10 Gallon All Glass Aquarium
-Dual 36 watt PC ABS Hood with 4" cooling fan
-Prizm Skimmer
-Rio 600
-Tronic 50 watt heater

Biological Specifications:

- 5 pounds of live sand from my old reef tank
- 20 pounds of Black Aragonite fine grade sand
- 15 pounds of premium fiji live rock

I made this tank this way to fit on top of my breakfast bar. I wanted this tank to be viewed from every possible angle that you could walk/stand. I painted one side black with spray paint. I plan this tank to only house SPS corals, and one color of mushroom coral. This tank will never have a fish. I also plan on keeping a pair of porcelain crabs. I really want this tank to look very simple and pleasing to the eye in a zen design. I am striving for uniformity in color and not a mixed rainbow of colors that the average reef tank contains. I used black sand because I am an avid photographer and white sand creates a glare effect from the lighting. I believe this will allow me to take clean, crisp pictures that are rich in color. Enjoy.

BTW, The sps corals I plan on keeping will be Hydronophora , Montipora, and Porites.

Today is it's birthdate - 11/17/2003

Attachments

• far shot sps tank 11-17-03.jpg
    far shot sps tank 11-17-03.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 686
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matty likes the whole idea. One of these days I'll have a very long, low tank that is viewable from 3 (if not 4) sides, just like that. Very cool. I think you should rename it the 270 degree reef though!

You've got to have at least one fish though! Maybe just a neon goby?

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I think it looks great too. Never seen a reef with black sand before, but I would love to try one sometime--the overall effect is very nice. It would be neat to have a little pink fiji in patches as well. Imagine when your corals are nice and mature, the black sand will amplify them!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I tried the black sand thing once and it quickly got to look kind of like a dirty ashtray with all the live rock shed on it.

Where did you get the black aragonite from? I've seen the Caribsea packaged calcite black sand and Estes makes a black silica sand that may be dyed.

Pisces1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! That's exactly what I'm planning to do with my tank. I have a very similar set up where there's a little nook to put the tank on. I love the idea of not having it on a stand.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: