• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

zosterae311

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers :) I have the opportunity to buy a used prizm(used for a week) and I'm wondering if I should do so or not. I am looking for a skimmer for my 20H, and I don't want to spend over a hundred, mainly cause I'm nor financially ready...hehe. I really want the bakpak, but I think I may get away with this prizm on my tank, being that it is a 20 gallon and all. I also am limited with space in my sump/fugium, and this skimmer would work well as far as space is concerned. I have read a lot of reviews, some good, some bad...mostly I read that it is noisy as hell. If any of you have anything to add here, please do so, as I am deciding very soon on what my plan of action will be. The size is why I am considering it, if I had the room I would just go with a CC cheapo(they work great, but need constant adjusting) but I do not.

Thanks!

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the prizm pro delux on my 210. Needless to say I am shopping for a new skimmer. If I were you I would wait go skimmerless for a while and get the better skimmer. I am constantly "tweeking" my prizm, you have no idea how annoying this is till you need to every night.
I am running a different model than you are looking at but they run on the same mechanics. I would not do it if I were you.
HTH
JJ

zosterae311

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it greatly. I have decided to re-do my sumpfugium anyway, as of about 10 minutes ago. I am going to use a bigger tank and have a seperate skimmer compartment w/baffle system, and a larger area for the pump. I am picking up a cc model instead, as I know they work great, and I don't feel like shelling out over a hundred bucks for my tank. I use an algae filter for the most part anyway, I just wanted to add a skimmer to help remove allelopathic compounds from my water, and I don't need something as large as the bak pak at this point.

Enough rambling. Damn, I'm always re-doing something.

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Prizm in my 75's sump/fuge and it's great,,, I ran it on my 90 for a while but I think that was a bit too much for it.

Should be perfect on a 20 high. It's fashionable to knock Prizms these days but on smaller tanks I've never seen anything better.

Let's all beat-up on something more worthy,, like the Skilter :)

Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one on my 75. It skimmed water. Put it on the ten gallon nano.. microbubble problem out the wahzoo and it still skimmed water. I'm not sure there is a good place to run those skimmers. I like the bak-pak idea better. Save up some cash.

If it is fashionable to be honest when saying that a product sucks rocks... well... so be it. I am in style.

J.

kparton

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely hated my Prizm, was one of the major reasons I gave up on my tank the first time. I have an AquaC Remora now and it works really well.

Simon1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, my prisim seems to be doing the job. However, after reading these posts, I feel that the thing is going to blow up, burn my house down, and kill everything within two miles ..... They may not be great, but they serve their purpose.

Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simon, I doubt it's going to blow up and take your house and half your neighborhood with it. *chuckle*

That said, I don't like prizms... because I've used them. They are very finicky compared to the Aqua C Remora line, which is pretty much a set it, clean it out once a month and otherwise forget it sort of deal. The remora is a superior skimmer to the prizm, and due to lack of dickering around with dials, and having to continually replace a quart of saltwater every other day, I recommend them above the prizm.

But... if a prizm is all you can afford, then I suppose it's better than no skimmer at all :)

J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for about a year before the prop stopped turnin on the motor. My wife always complained about the noise and I was constantly messin with it. I have it in my garage now. If I can get the prop to work I will use it again as a backup or on a small aquarium no bigger than a 29 gallon. I would never get another. Even the Seaclone is a better skimmer in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for about a year before the prop stopped turnin on the motor. My wife always complained about the noise and I was constantly messin with it. I have it in my garage now. If I can get the prop to work I will use it again as a backup or on a small aquarium no bigger than a 29 gallon. I would never get another. Even the Seaclone is a better skimmer in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ETSS Sea Dragon, and it's great. If I were you, I'd save and get a better skimmer and skip the prizm.

Simon1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Those look awesome! How moch space do they require on the back side of a tank?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: