• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

DA Mini reefs

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Would a standard Aqua One RA620 [18gal.] be suitable for a fish only setup for the office? I just want a simple easy care setup for say, 3or4 clowns, 2 damsels, no live sand or live rock or coral at all,just some colored gravel and a "coral background"and some imitation rocks for hiding places, shuuuder shuuder I know!! It's instead of one of those dull bland looking freshwater setups you see in the Dentist's sergary. I intend to do a 10%-20% water change every 2 weeks.
Would I need to do any modifications to the basic filter system for just 5or6 small fish?
:? :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What filtration were you planning on using?

IME, the only clownfish that can be housed in small groups is Amphiprion ocellaris. All other clownfish will form a pair and destroy any other clowns in the tank. If you'd like to watch your clowns eventually spawn, damsels aren't a good choice as tankmates. They both belong to the family Pomacentridae and see each other as competitors. They may get along, but from what I've seen of damsel/clown tanks the clowns spend most of their time either chasing or getting chased by the damsels. It doesn't leave much time for spawning, which is truly an amazing thing to watch.

I think a more suitable tankmate might be a royal gramma, orchid dottyback (but no other dottyback), virtually any goby, one of the smaller pygmy angels in the genus Centropyge (C. argi is a wonderful fish), a firefish, or maybe even a small cardinal fish in the genus Apogon.

Hope this helps!
Matt

DA Mini reefs

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt,
Thanks for the reply. The filter system that comes with the tank is a small sponge type with media pellets each about the size of a dime.This all fits along the back at the top. There is a pump in the tank at one end witch pumps tank water along the back across the media and sponge and back into the tank at the other end. It's a nice compact all in one complete setup and I was told this is more suited for freshwater, but I wanted to know if anyone is useing this type of setup for marine. It has 2 fluros in the top as well. Thanks for the info on compatable fish, I'll do what you suggest.
Dave

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you would be better served using a bio-wheel (or similar) setup instead of the sponge and media pellets. unless it sorta a wet/dry setup, but it sounds like more of a submerged media filter than aerobic one.

if you definitely want a damsel i would limit it to one (let it get bullied rather a tag team affair with two damsels terrorizing everything else). i agree with matt's assessmet on the temperments involved. the clowns are a good choice still tho imo (and readily recognizable to the layperson). hth

DA Mini reefs

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how the bio wheel setup works. We don't seem to have much info in Australia on this. I'm still looking for a complete attractive setup for the office counter,no more than 20gal. Yea!! I think I'll sick with the clowns [nemo's]. There is another brand here called 'Mirabello' with an internal filter sponge,bio sponge,ceramic noodles??and d/s carbon cartridge?? Would this be more suitable for Marine??
I do appreciate all the help guys, thanks.
Dave

DA Mini reefs

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how the bio wheel setup works. We don't seem to have much info in Australia on this. I'm still looking for a complete attractive setup for the office counter,no more than 20gal. Yea!! I think I'll sick with the clowns [nemo's]. There is another brand here called 'Mirabello' with an internal filter sponge,bio sponge,ceramic noodles??and d/s carbon cartridge?? Would this be more suitable for Marine??
I do appreciate all the help guys, thanks.
Dave

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's some info on the bio-wheel. it is a commercial site so take the miracle cure with a grain of salt. :wink:

actually, any filter will do depending upon the amount of maintenance you're willing to put into it (i.e. work). i'm an extremely lazy stump so i like things as easy as possible. for lazybutts like me, i recommend a hob filter. filter maintenance is easy, clean, and quick. hth

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: