• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

rossi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,
how luky can u get,ive just been given a full set up my friend decided hes had enough of the hobby,
tank 24-18-12,150watt heater 2 fluval filters,2x 18 watt tubes fitted in the hood,one super day light and one 50-50,i was thinking of setting up a little reef tank mainly soft corals and inverts no fish.
is this a good idea,do i need better lighting is 2 tubes enough,do i need a scimmer,what about the filters,both cannister filters one fluval 1 and 1 fluval 2,r they any good for marine.this was a tropical set up.

any advice.

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well If a light upgrade were out of the question I would do softies in the upper region of the tank. And some non photosynthetic's ie. gorgonians. You must remeber if you do nonphotosynthetic's you need to feed them. Personally I would probably loose the fluvals and but a nice big aquaclear or two on the back as a fuge. I also like a good bit of live rock in my tanks for filtration. You could also do a DSB or Plenum. Do you have a source for RO/DI water if not that would be my first investment for the tank. Just a suggestion dont go el cheapo on the salt either, I am a fan of Instant Ocean but there has been much debate. Try not to fall into the skimmer craze and blow tons of money on one. They are great but not totally needed,as some think. So why no fish, that size tank could definately have one or two.
Hope any of this is useful :?
JJ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: