• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

zosterae311

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks :) What return pumps do you all use for a tank this size? I'm not referring to flow rates/etc., I know about that. I'm wondering what brands you have had success with and would recommend. I am not opposed to an external pump, as long as the water inlet fitting can go through a 1/2" hole(the only glass bit I have ;)). In a tank this size, I'm sure there are a few submersibles that do the trick though...I just want to make sure it is quality and doesn't produce any microbubbles. I assume there are no microbubbles when using the impeller-less models...is that correct? Is it the cavitation of the impeller that causes them? Reason I ask is I am through with powerheads, all they do is make micro-bubbles and take up the already limited tank space. I am upgrading to a sumpfugium, and I am using a water return manifold as my sole source of circulation. I just want to make sure that I purchase the right pump here, as I will be beside myself if I buy and new pump and the microbubble situation continues....it is driving my batty. Thanks for any input you may have :) Peace

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're going to run into problems finding fittings that will go in a 1/2" hole. If you haven't already drilled the tank, spend the money and have it drilled for 3/4" bulkheads. The money you spend now will pay for itself later-most of it from the problems you won't have.

To answer your original question, try one of the smaller mag pumps. Or even a maxijet. I only get microbubbles out of my powerheads when the suck in air. so keep the intake well below the water line, and you shouldn't have problems.

B

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd go with at least a Mag2 (Mag5 should be perfect). the specific model really depends on your desired output gph and total head but all the Mag's are top notch imo.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: