• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if we don't have anything to say here, I guess we can just look at picture from my eclipse. :lol:

Attachments

• gorgonian.jpg
    gorgonian.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,304
  • new lps.jpg
    new lps.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,309
  • whole tank.jpg
    whole tank.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,313

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Ive been trying to id another coral you have in there, what is the coral on the far left, below the one that is under the clown fish? I can't tell if its a briareum bush or what, it looks neat. Your tank is looking nice and the coralline is sticking to yer walls eh? That button polyp at the bottom is large, he is curled up because of the feeding response right? Mine do that each time I squeeze a few food pellets into the water to feed the various organisms.

You got the flow going again in here bro

B

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B-The mystery coral is Pocillopora damicornis. I think that the zooanthid was closed up because I decided to clean the front of the tank right before I took the pic, and stirred everything around a bit. Everything seems to be going really well. The Luxeon LEDs make a bigger difference in the lighting than I hoped, and seem to be running fine. 95% of my cyano is gone, and as Brandon said, I am starting to get some coralline growth. All this only a week after I had to move the tank across the hall. My sps seem to be growing like gangbusters, and all my water parameters seem up to snuff. My calcium was a little low, but I started topping off with full strength Kalk, so it should be up again. I want to add a T. squamosa, but I might wait until I get to Arizona. I already had a bad time with the first one. I am also still trying to figure out how to plumb the iceprobe chiller that I got from Len. I have a pretty good idea, but thus far I have been too lazy to do it, because the tank is still in a temp controlled room, and there is no chance of it overheating. So far so good. A shout out to Matt Wandell, and all you kids here in the nano forum who stopped me before I did anything really stupid, and helped me get the little nano going.

Mike

cal3v

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he might be referring to the one under that, which is a gorgonian correct? BTW good start to a tank.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That little purple gorgonian looks great. The piece I got from you has finally decided it wants to start growing. Were you able to get a controller for that IceProbe or are you just going to put it on a timer? Maybe I'll get around to posting some updates of my tank sometime...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, you finally figured out how to use the macro feature on the camera! Yay! :D

The brown gorgonian is a species in the Eunicea genus, common name "warty sea rod." The purple gorgonian is Pseudopterogorgia bipinnata. Just to give Mike some props, I had a frag of that same exact gorg die in my tank after 3 days, even with a long acclimation period. Obviously his is doing great.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt what is a macro feature? I see you photo techies refer to that all the time and still don't know what it is. My cheapo kodak has that feature, buts its more of an on/off setting than anything from what I can tell. Dont have the owners manual...Is macro the key to getting the massive up-close shots you guys get, where you can see the DNA in the particular polyp you are shooting? :) I say this because I can never get that detail without going blurry, all I can do is get maybe a decent close-up of the system but not a close up of a particular specimen.

Yep that is the one I was referring too, it looked like a gorg but it was pot-shaped as opposed to rod shaped and that was a neat morph variant. It is the kind with the spongy purple flesh as opposed to a more rigid mat like GSP?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B-
The "macro feature" is just a button on the Nikon coolpix. It shows a little icon of a flower, a mountain, or nothing at all. If you want to shoot something close up, you choose the flower. Now don't ever accuse me of being a "techie" again. :D Computers and this whole "internet" thing still scare me.

That gorg actually does grow rod shaped when it gets bigger, Mike just has a short rod that looks like a pot. :D :D :D :D It has a fairly rigid core, but not solid. Best analogy I can think of is a dried out kitchen sponge...it won't snap when you bend it, but it's stiff and hard to bend.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it won't snap when you bend it, but it's stiff and hard to bend.

Saw that in a show in Tiajuana once. :lol:

What size sump are you running? Also what lights?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it won't snap when you bend it, but it's stiff and hard to bend.

Saw that in a show in Tiajuana once. :lol:

What size sump are you running? Also what lights?

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I custom built the sump, but it is small. Maybe a five gallon total capacity, with most of it being taken up by live sand and rock. The lights are 3 13W pcs, and a set of 4 luxeon 1W leds. It seems to be enough to keep almost anything. I got most of the ideas from a friends tank, who donated the lights to me. He was keeping Montipora and Acropora in a similar setup. Of course, he made a lot of fun of me when I added a closed loop and a sump, but what are you going to do? Sometimes you've just got to go a little overboard.

On a side note, I just added a frag of A. formosa, A. loripes, and two color morphs of M. capricornis thanks to Cal3v. However, the orange color morph of the M. capricornis isn't looking so hot. It might not have faired so well in the hour long drive in the heat (although I did bring an ice chest).

Mike

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, that large brown and green acro frag is SWEEEEEEET looking in person, cal.

cal3v

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you should see that loripes when it gets bright purple/blue tips, its a real nice piece.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: