• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older halide fixture and ballast collecting dust. I was thinking
what if I put it above a standard 10 gal. glass aquarium? Would it make a
good nano? Overkill? What do you guys think? You nano reefers have
inspired me to do something! :D

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey HillBilly,

I know lots of guys using the MH on the tens. They are either using good fanning or good spacing (or both) above the tank to compensate for the heat. The focused lighting of the MH allows you to keep it up above the tank where heat is not all that big of a deal and the light is still very intense. If not, quote me a used MH/ballast price and Id consider buying it from you or referring someone else that would. If you keep it, I think it will make a fine setup and theres not one coral that wouldnt be happy under it!

B

Aquarist20

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it Hillbilly. I have MH and VHO over a 20 gallon and I absolutely love it. No heat issue at all. Actually I have trouble keeping it warm.

smlacy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarist20 & Undergrad: How high off the tank are your MH lights? Are you running sealed top? Fans 24/7 or only when the lights are on? Glass or Acrylic?

Steve

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SMLacy,
Its a 175w about 8 inch from the surface of the water. The fan (which blows air into the hood) turns on when the light comes on. My canopy covers the entire top of the tank but I wouldn't consider it sealed... its got plenty of holes on the top for ventilation. Oh, and its a glass thank. HTH.

-AM-

Apophis924

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it man, I got MH over my 20. 250watts worth of MH,. it is great you can keep ANY thing you want since light is not a limiting factor. Cooling is not a problem i use a fan and an ice probe chiller. keeps the tank around 78 degrees. My lighting is above the tank about 4 inches from the surface, no canopy just wide open space.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: