• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

koehler

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, whats best for a small 10g reef?

Mini-jet 606 79 - 153 gph
Maxi-Jet 400 106 gph
Penguin 550 145 gph

The Maxi-Jet 900 is just a bit too powerful for this one :)
Looking for the smallest, but don't want too much power.
I'm thinking the MJ 400?

Thanks

ChrisIsBored

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an AquaGlobe AQ-200# in my 7G nano + the penquin HOB pushing a little more and quite frankly I think I could use another 100-200GPH.

The AquaGlobe is smaller than the mini-jet and they have a 100GPH, 200GPH, and 300GPH model. Not sure of what stores carry them but Dave ESPI on nano-reefs.com sells them. They're awesome other than the fact the suction cups are wayyyyy too weak and the thing will fall all the time if you don't change them.

attachment.php

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two maxi-jet 1200s on my 6 gallon eclipse. Instead of worrying about their size, I just plumbed them externally. I don't think I get too much flow at all. I think that it all depends on exactly what you want to keep in your nano. If it were me, I would tend to error on the big side. You could always point the powerhead at the glass if it were too much flow.

Mike

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1200 and (I think) a 600 in my 6 as well. They're 295 and 160 gph. The old rule of thumb 20X tank volume doesn't work so good in a nano. It's all about velocity, not just total flow, and the little PHs just don't cut it. I had the 400 in there and it hardly pushed the water around. It all depends on what you're keeping of course. I have SPS corals so I need a ton of water movement.

investigator1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rio 600 in my 7 gallon. An important thing to remember is to have maximum water flow but not current (intensity). It is better to have your water flow more evenly distributed. So I guess what I'm trying to say is..... Move your tanks volume as much and as gently as you can. Trust me my corals would tell how happy they are if they could.

wetworx101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the penguin550 in a nano right now for circulation...works great. I also use the maxi-jet 900 in another nano...works very well also.

Brooklyn Johnny

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Minijet 606s and am happy with them after upgrading from 404s. They are nicely adjustable and easy to maintain. I have a 10 gallon also FYI...

phillips

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use only one Minijet 606 in my 10 gal. nano. And I use the middle setting since I only have Pocillopora, mushrooms and giant Aiptasia, peppermints and an emerald crab. I recommend gluing an algae magnet to the powerhead w/ 5 minute gel epoxy. Twister magnets work well. The epoxy hardens in an hour and is ready to put in the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a maxijet 1200 on a scwd on my 5g bowfront, I wouldnt consider anything less powerful

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: