• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bicolor Blenny. Although the amount of algae they eat varies quite a bit from individual to individual... mine won't touch the stuff (I've spoiled him too much). I have heard from other people's experiences that some eat their fair share of it though. And you're pretty much guaranteed to get a fish with an awesome personality.

-AM-

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Walbertt, glad to see your post and shoot us a pic of your tank when you can

rdo_welcome.gif

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your new tank looks nice and the rock has nice color!

If it were my system Id change about 50% of the water every weekend for two months and keep up the skimming. Manually remove the algae you see before it gets an upper hand, and if it still comes back change 50% of water twice a week for one month and do something different with your bioload/feeding regimen.

I don't know any other way to battle hair algae, aggressive is the only option as far as I can tell. If you interrupt the nutrient supply longer than the algae patch can live on its internal stores, the colony has no choice but to shrink relative to nutrient availability. Counter to this strategy is an entire network of encrusting and filtering animals that use suspended compounds and particles to live as well, an effective algae battle will take some toll on the establishment of LR growth and diversity. Its worth it to fight hair algae while the tank matures.

Setup is coming along fine.
brandon429

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I can tell in your pictures its not bad at all, only two patches I see need to be picked off. Very common in tank cycling, just don't want anyone to take the hit of an algae infestation when you start adding corals. Picking algae growth off the base of a nice coral colony is a maintenance hassle, and by that time any good algae battle would stress the established system. I like to attack the hair algae first, and tune the tank's bioload/export design to the speed of hair algae regrowth.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis. Very cool. How long have you had it in that size tank?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: