• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Kabob

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just setup a 10 gallon nano. Was originally going to be a recovery tank for an anemone in bad shape, but the anemone moved and is growing like a weed in the main tank. Now I have this 10 gallon with live rock just sitting in it at the moment. I plan to do ricordea or zoos in it. I was wondering how you all surface skim these tanks. Let me list my setup and hope fully I'll get some suggestions on keeping the film from the surface of the water.

10 gallon
10 lbs live rock
Southdown DSB
250w 10k HQI
Hang on filter running carbon
Heater

Thanks,
Jason

Attachments

• picture 012.jpg
    picture 012.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,689
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a small overflow box for my Bakpak pump. It;s just a 5 sided cube with a hole in the side where it attatches to the pump.
Since you have a hang-on, you could do the same

B

Attachments

• skimmer box.jpg
    skimmer box.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,684

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks cool. I believe BakPak sells something like this that the whole pump fits into. It would be super simple to DIY though.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't currently surface skim my reefs mainly because:

1. Im not feeding heavily, and carry a relatively low dissolved organic compound mass considering the systems are unskimmed. In a system housing an anemone that may have been fed chunks of silversides or other meaty foods, the fats and oils emitted in digestion will weigh down a water column much faster than a standard small reef that does not house anemones.

2. I feel the DOC's that stay in the system due to the lack of skimming are great foods for corals of all kinds. The trick is not to carry such a heavy suspended organic load, just enough to provide slightly rich water for your lightly-fed corals.

3. Powerheads can be aimed and turbulence can be re-routed (especially with those link-lines) to stir up the surface, even a grossly underskimmed system will not carry a surface scum if agitation is strong.

Ehiem makes a fine over-the-back surface skimmer if any one of these variables will be compromised in your current nano reef. And, heavy skimming can remove many compounds before they accumulate at the water surface--if it doesnt work with a particular skimmer either upsize it or install two. Dissolved organic load sets the stage for algae wars, increased nitrate levels, and distribution of elements such as phosphorus and nitrogen throughout a system. But in the right balance it is also beneficial for corals, as they make use of these proteins and compounds when they are ingested in one way or another.

BrandonM.

cmlp

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly offtopic, but I see references to "silversides" quite often.

Around here, Silverside would be some form of salted beef - is that what everyone else means too? I'd feel a bit silly feeding a chunk of cow to an anenome only to find out silversides are small fish or something!

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is way off topic, but I think the original question was answered anyway...I think feeding small amounts of beef, at least to fish, is not detrimental and probably beneficial. My majestic angel, picasso trigger, and dogface puffer all love small amounts of beef. I throw in about a grape sized amount once or twice a week. They ignore fresh red snapper, so they have somewhat discriminating tastes. It shouldn't be a primary food source, but it probably has some vitamins and minerals (iron and carotene, for example) not present in other foods.

ChrisIsBored

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as we're on the meats subject... A friend of mine told me years back he had a friend who kept a rather friendly trigger. While over at his house.. he would often pull out pieces of ham from the sandwich he was eating and just toss it in the tank and the trigger would happily eat away.

I always love hearing stories like those. :lol:

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I was perusing Wilkerson's Clownfishes last night, and she suggests feeding here brood stock beef hearts. I don't have the book with me, so I can't remember what page, but it is in the chapter on nutrition.

Mike

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: